FW: blooms

  • Jan Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2010

      [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2010
        Jan,
        How long did the flowers last? They don't remain in bloom forever.

        --
        Ron Rabideau
        Camden, NJ
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2010
          Jan, were the azaleas you purchased from a florist or from a nursery?  Do they have a variety name tag or were they unnamed.  Did you plant them outdoors in the ground or indoors in containers?

          I ask these questions to determine if you perhaps planted Florist azaleas, which are intended just for temporary bloom indoors perhaps given as a gift on Mother's Day, OR if ;you planted outdoor hardy azaleas whidh are intended for outdoor planting in the ground.

          Your blooms may have  dropped as a natural process because the plant had completed its blooming cycle, or the blooms may have dropped prematurely due to overwatering or shock in planting.  If the leaves still look healthy on the  plants, the bloom drop is probably just a natural event.  Some azaleas like the variety Snow do not drop their hose in hose flowers after flowering and look rather like dirty socks for weeks after bloom is over.

          If your plants are florist azaleas, they were forced to bloom in a greenhouse, and probably will not be successful as outdoor plants.  Some people, very few, are successfull in keepimng such azaelas alive in containers indoors.  It takes an expert, and beyond, for this.

          Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a