Re: [AZ] Azalea bush has brown leaves [1 Attachment]

  • Nicholas Yarmoshuk
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2010
      It sure would be very useful to know where in North America (Town, City and State)  this plant is growing.
      Looks like freezing temperature damage above a snowline  . . . at least to my eye from the photo.
      Are those really azalea leaves? . . . the large green leaves and buds resemble lepidotes.   I am really interested what others would say about this one.
      Nick Yarmoshuk
      St. Catharines ON, Canada
      Near Niagara Falls, Canada.

      On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM, vincenza campione <egawry7206@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from vincenza campione included below]

      Hello,
      I was wondering if anyone can help me understand why my azalea bush has brown leaves on it, but yet still has some leaves that are green and even have some buds on them.
      I read that I cannot prune it right now or fertilize it, until after it blooms, however I want to take care of it so it doesn't get any worse. What do you suggest I do? Please find attached some pictures of how it looks right now, maybe it helps.
      Your response is greatly appreciated!
      Thanks.
      Enza Campione

    • Harold Greer
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2010

        Tom hit the nail on the head in that the problem is freeze and the green parts were most likely covered with snow when the coldest weather hit.  It will probably come back.  Give it a little more time to see what is dead and then prune that out.  You can also give it a light application of fertilizer, though some people will say not to, but I have found a light application helps.

        I do not however agree with Tom or Nick that it is a broad leaf rhododendron.  I can see why they might think so from the picture, but I would bet my reputation on the fact that it is an evergreen azalea.  All azaleas are rhododendrons. They are just a separate group that we commonly call azaleas, so in effect Tom is right that they are rhododendrons.  You don’t happen to have an idea of the cultivar name of the plant or where it came from, that might settle the argument!

        Harold Greer

        Greer Gardens