Anyone Out There???

  • Joe Schild
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2004
      Hi all,
      Things must be getting busy for everyone, because I have seen very little
      postings to the mail list. Here in the Chattanooga area, we are expecting
      our first freeze tonight and all of the 'not so hardy' house plants have
      been moved to the greenhouse. The Encores will no doubt be flower mush by
      morning, but they were a joy this fall for their vibrant color. A few of the
      Robbin Hills, my large R. poukhansense, and Red Red flowered out of season
      with pitiful flowers.

      My Rhododendron "President Lincoln" also flowered out of season and will
      lose most buds, but that is the only large leaf rhodo that behaved that way
      this year. Since we have had unusually warm days this fall, I thought all my
      azaleas and rhodos would end up blooming. My next chores will be downed limb
      removal before I run my leaf vaccuum. Limbs have a way of clogging that
      beast and its the bear to unclog. I must remember to shut the thing off
      before inserting hand into snout. I seem to have to write things down now
      days as reminders and I guess that is the price of growing older and losing
      brain cells. The leaves here just went brown to the ground with very little
      color and now my compost bins will be filled to start the cycle all over
      again.

      New mulch awaits in a huge pile and only my aching back is reluctant to take
      on that task. Perhaps a little coaxing with a good dinner for my two sons
      and their wives will get me some help. Of course, cleaning out the beds of
      weeds and tree seedlings is a task that makes me blanch and want to turn
      Grizz and hybrinate early.

      Let's see now, the list seems to grow larger every day rather than smaller.
      I still have about a two thousand plants to sort through and decide which
      ones will be available for a big clearence sale next year. Most of the pinks
      I put pics up on the mail list will go. A lot of the late reds, too, plus
      all the one gallon natives, and all the wildflowers. Sorry $Bob, this is not
      meant to be an advertisement, just a statement of fact. It has all gotten to
      much for me and something must go. My brief fantisy of starting a
      microculture lab for propagating my hybrids has turned into just that, a
      fantisy and beyond my reach at this point in life. If was 30 years younger,
      I would take it on like crazy.

      Anyway, everyone have a nice Thanksgiving.

      Joe Schild Hixson, TN USDA Zone 7a
    • iffy123
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2004
        I rather enjoyed this letter. Reminds me that all of us are getting the
        mind set for winter. I don't like it in any form, but at a lat 30, I am not
        in the really cold zones.

        While gone for a couple of weeks touring Florida, I set my little itsy bitsy
        azalea seed pot in a "humidor" to keep them moist and warm while I was gone.
        It worked!! There are still only little bitty leaves, but they are still
        green. Perhaps they will grow soon into two "real" leaves. Meantime, I
        enjoy the azalea mail and photographs and am fantastically challenged on
        trying to propagate them. Don't know that I will live long enuf to grow
        into real blooming plants, BUT I can tell I have succeeded in a few plants.
        Momentous moments.

        Keep writing, I'll keep reading.

        Barbara O'Meallie zone 8b

[...]

        When you reply to this email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as
        context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.
        Also PLEASE tell us where you garden (city, state or at least your USDA
        zone).

        We welcome images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel .jpg
        images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal.

        Yahoo! Groups Links