Encores/petal blight

  • algernon_27265
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2004
      We've just gone through about a 12 day period of cloudy, misty
      weather (without actually getting much rain). During this humid
      spell the temperature was mild--45-70 degrees. The 4 Encore azaleas
      that I have blooming (Autumn Twist, Amethyst, Autumn Royalty, &
      Sangria) exhibited NO petal blight under conditions that I certainly
      associate with petal blight in the Spring on azaleas in general.

      I thought this noteworthy. Autumn Twist & Amethyst have been
      especially good fall bloomers for me. We had a hot June (90's) &
      mild to average July & August. Last year Amethyst bloomed for 6
      weeks in the fall after a very hot summer, but then had only 1-2
      blooms in the Spring. Never seen a spec of lacebug on any Encore.

      What are others experiencing with this interesting & relatively new
      group of azaleas?

      Will Ferrell
      7a