Making photo plant ? Chat sessions?

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
      Has anyone in the group tried making laminated plastic photo plant tags, which would be helpful when I conduct tours of my woods and yard?  I know they would not be permanent.

      Also, when a yahoo chat smiley face appears at the bottom on the computer window, saying a person is available, does that mean that they are requesting to begin a chat session?  The round yellow smiley faces also appear under yahoo contacts indicating who is on line at a particular time.

      Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
      Nature is my Greenhouse
      Fall-Line Sandhills region
      Lexington County, South Carolina
    • Bill Turk
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2010

        Mike, just cleaning up old emails and stumbled across your question about laminating photos.  We  have done this a couple of times prior to bus tours and have learned a couple of tricks.   First, you are correct to assume they won’t be permanent, in fact with ours, the color begins to fade within a  few days.  We make them on 8.5x11 regular paper so they will be easy to see from the bus window.  We use plant stakes that we bought from the label company to display the large “tags”.   These stakes are about 18” tall, one end spears the media in the pot, the other requires a hole be punched in the tag in order to attach to the stake.  Very important, punch the hole before you laminate, punch it in an oversized manner, we just make multiple punches with a single hole punch.  Then once laminated, punch a single hole through the laminate.  If you don’t do this, the hole will leak and ruin the picture immediately were it to rain or even from a heavy dew.

        We make the cultivar name the biggest font that will fit on the top half of the sheet and use the entire bottom half for a photo of the azalea bloom or other interesting characteristic if it is not an azalea.

        We haven’t solved the wind problem, in heavy wind they tend to be blown into positions that are hard to read, we did however learn that slipping two copies back to back in did help.

        Bill Turk

        Martins nursery

        Semmes, AL

        Zones are out the window this week.