Re: [AZ] 'Galle's Choice'

  • sjperk5
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2009
      Mike

      Here is a good link for going crosses

      http://www.rhododendron.fr/dos2_e1.htm

      John

      --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Mike Creel <mikeacreel@...> wrote:

      > John, can you or any of the other knowledgeable people in this group  prescribe a foolproof procedure for testing self fertility that I could use next season on my Choice Cream?
      >
      > You would not believe the typical seed pod set on this plant, visible right now. The seeds could fill the entire seed exchange with some left over.  The plant grows in a fairly isolated position at the outer edge of the courtyard between my house and attached garage.  It never has a bad year.  The plant forms ball trusses from single buds, and the number of pots set seems to equal the flowers that open.
      >
      > I grow a fair number of deciduous azaleas, more species than hybrids, but this Choice Cream plant beats everything in seed pod set year after year.  As a rule I observe much better seed pod set in my hybrids compared to pure species plants.
      >
      > If the Galle's Choice plant is still growing at Callaway, I believe it can be found.  A few years ago they found an Ilex laevigata from which I rooted several cuttings using November cuttings overwintered outdoors.
      >  Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
      > Lexington County, South Carolina
      >

      > ________________________________

    • sjperk5
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2009
        Mike

        We prepare all the flowers in a single bud that have not gotten passed the turkey feet stage.

        We wait 2 days to pollinate so the pistil has fully expanded and the stigma is sticky.

        To do your test we would prepare 2 sets of flowers from 2 different flowers buds.

        We would self Choice Cream on one set of flowres and use pollen from a known 4n on the other set of flowers buds.

        In general we like to do all our test crosses using no fewer that 4 flowers from the same bud.

        John Perkins
        Salem, NH