Re: [AZ] Weird things hapening

  • Joe Schild
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 8 1:30 PM
      Hey David and Tom,
      The copyright thing is not the problem. The problem is that I can not open a thumbnail pic contained as an attachment to our Azaleas Groups mail list to see it in enlarged form. Every time I click on a thumb I get the error message.

      Do I need to reset my connection priorities to allow cookies from my normal "paranoid" level, or what?

      Oh, as a side note, when Microsoft actually sends their latest, "Windows 7" to the market place, one will need to also have installed "Vista". And also, MS will stop supporting XP to make us all use W-7.

      Joe Schild

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 8 4:36 PM
        Hi Joe,
        I presume that you have a Yahoo account. Have you written to them
        for help? I believe that if it was just a problem with the cookies
        being disabled, or popups being blocked, there would have been a warning
        message from Yahoo about that fact. A server error sounds more like
        something involving the interaction with their servers, your computer
        and/or your ISP. See what they say.
        Barry

        Joe Schild wrote:

        > Hey David and Tom,
        > The copyright thing is not the problem.. The problem is that I can not
        > open a thumbnail pic contained as an attachment to our Azaleas Groups
        > mail list to see it in enlarged form. Every time I click on a thumb I
        > get the error message.
        >
        > Do I need to reset my connection priorities to allow cookies from my
        > normal "paranoid" level, or what?
        >
        > Oh, as a side note, when Microsoft actually sends their latest,
        > "Windows 7" to the market place, one will need to also have installed
        > "Vista". And also, MS will stop supporting XP to make us all use W-7.
        >
        > Joe Schild

      • Tom Schuetz
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 8 4:38 PM
          I was being facetious about the unknown error and copyrighted material.
          I have no idea how to address the problem you are having.
          There is an article by Mossberg on Windows 7 in today's wall Street Journal. In summary he says it is the best Microsoft operating system yet, comparable to Apple's latest. It is an easy upgrade from Vista but hard from  the next best system, Windows XP.
          With XP it is necessary to store personal files somewhere off the computer's hard drive then wipe the main drive clean, reinstall programs and reload personal files. What Fun!
          Isn't Microsoft a great company always placing the customer's interest first?  (I am using XP by the way)

          Tom Schuetz
          schuetz101@...

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 8 7:21 PM

            Gentlemen,

            It is true that, if you set your security filter too high, things which you wish to receive will not be able to come through.  The security filter should not be any higher than medium and sort of on the low side there.  You can adjust some of this, too, on "Account Settings" and also in "Options" on your toolbar.  Also it happens sometimes that, when a left click does not do the job of opening a picture or some other attachment, a right click will.  That's not always true, but it can happen in some cases.

            George Klump
            Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 8 7:36 PM
              Windows Vista turned out to be a bomb, a poorly thought through program which was not nearly as good as WindowsXP Professional, Office or Home.  That's why Microsoft authorized computer manufacturers, e.g. Dell et al, to continue offering WindowsXP as a choice on new computers.  My wife had Windows Vista on her computer and we had to dump the entire program and switch it back to WindowsXP Professional.  There was a tremendous drop in anxiety after that. :-P

              As for converting to Windows 7, which I am going to do later this month, simply take a portable hard drive and download everything off your present computer which you wish to keep.  This can be done with a good flash drive just as well.  Once you have everything off your hard drive which you wish to reinstall later, then, wipe out the hard drive.  It doesn't take long.

              The main thing is to upgrade the RAM on your computer, if you wish to improve speed.  Even 2 years ago many of the good computers only had about 612 Mbs. on the RAM.  For about $55 I changed mine to 2.5 gigs and the computer sails through anything rapidly compared to before.

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 12 2:51 PM
                George, You seem a bit more computer savvy that me, so I have some questions.  How does one go from XP to Windows 7?  What do you do about programs like MS Office, and others for XP, to make them work in Windows 7?

                My present computer was built inexpensively by a local one-guy shop Mitek Computers who used components I already had and upgraded the case and motherboard in a non-proprietory fashion.  I had two 10 and 30 gig hard dirves. He put all the software on the 10 gig and reserved the 30 gig just for file storage.  He said this was the best way to plan for future software upgrades.

                The 10 gig drive could be wiped clean and reloaded with newer software without touching the larger 30 gig storage drive.  Once or twice a year I save all my desktop files in a directory named for example DeskTop2008 to the 20 gig drive to clear the desktop. I also regularly copy the larger drive to a 160 gig off-computer drive that plugs into a USB port.

                I save all my photos in directories named by date, like 101209 for October 12, 2009, in a larger directory named 2009Photos.  Then I go in and name the best photos in a directory, keeping the index number at the beginning of the file name, like 59_BlueAzalea.  This simple method keeps all photo organized so I can find them based on the time of year I shot shem.

                Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
                Lexington County, South Carolina

                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 12 4:31 PM
                  My eight-year-old took summer computer classes at Thr Art Institute.  Artists have to have Macs.  You guys are making me glad I bought one.

                  A Mac Mini is a tiny desktop that had a speaker, burns DVDs and has a dual drive.  I should be able to use it for both a monitor and a TV.  I have to wait and see how much of it I can figure it out.

                  --
                  Larry Wallace
                  Cincinnati
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 13 11:06 AM

                    George Klump wrote:

                    Mike,

                    I'm not all that savvy, but experience plus a long time electronics communications friend who makes an active hobby of computers and has to use them all the time has helped.

                    My Window 7 program is due here in the next 10 to 15 days.  What I'm going to do is to remove WindowsXP Professional to a Western Electric portable hard drive.  That will save all the programs.  That should clean the computer's hard drive completely.

                    Then, with that hard drive blank, I'm going to install Windows 7.  That way there will be no interference in setting up the files, e.g. accidentally making a corrupted file and fouling up the whole thing.

                    Most of those good programs, e.g. MS Office and the like, are all NT programs and should be perfectly compatible with Windows 7.  This was more of a problem with the old DOS system.  That's why the NT basis is so much better.  Anyway, you should be able to add back in all of the programs you wish, once you have Windows 7 firmly in place.  It sounds to me as if you have your photos and desktops all organized well.  I don't use my desktop for anything else except the icon display.  If I'm going to make a file of photos, I go to 'My Pictures' and set it up.  Certain letters I wish to keep I put in 'My Documents' under whatever heading I need.

                    In reading your excellent description of what you have had done, it sounds to me, as if your friend at the "local one-guy shop Mitek Computers" did you a big favor in the way he built your system.  Having it non-proprietary is really the best.  That way you can accept anything generically you wish.  If you have a total of 40 gigs, 10 + 30, I can't see that you would have any real trouble at all.  And if you also have a 160-gig portable hard drive, you're set for just about anything.  [You could run TCM from that just about! :-P ]

                    I would suggest putting your present files and the programs you wish to keep on the 160-gig portable hard drive temporarily, then, wipe off your 10 gig hard drive.  After you have Windows 7 installed cleanly on your 10 gig hard drive, then, go to your 160-gig outfit and transfer back those programs you want and make desktop icons of them for easy access.

                    The biggest thing for having a smooth running computer with quick responses is to have a large RAM capacity.  If your local man has you on something like a 2.5 gig RAM system, you should be fine.  Also I have just advised one of my classmates [who asked] to switch from Internet Explorer as her homepage to Mozilla Firefox as a homepage.  She told me just today that her computer is noticeably faster in its response.  I had also suggested she used Thunderbird for her e-mail, since it is an adjunct of Firefox and is supported.  It's every bit as flexible as was Outlook Express 6.0 which I used for several years until I was informed about 18 months ago it was no longer going to be supported.  I kept the address book but dumped the OE 6.0 in favor of using Thunderbird.  Evidently my classmate is doing the same now and is very pleased with the results.

                    Oh, one other thing.  If you do not already have Grisoft's AVG system, you should.  It is far and away the finest anti-virus program going.  It uses almost no disc space compared to Symantec [Norton], McAfee and all the others.  You can download the AVG 8.5 edition for free and use it for free.  No need to buy a fancy one, e.g. a system used in big offices.

                    And while we're talking computers, Mike, here's another tip for keeping your computer running smoothly and operating efficiently.  I make it a point to go to 'All Programs' through my START bar every week.  At the top of the 'All Programs' menu you should see 'Accessories'.  Click on that and go to 'System Tools'.  On mine it's about the fourth or fifth one down.  The little menu that pops out from that will or should have 'Disc Clean-up' on it.  Click on that and have it clean off unnecessary files [Temporary Internet Files or TIF] which collect on there over time.  Except for your 'Set-up Log' and one other, most everything else can be cleaned up this way.

                    Then, maybe every two or three months, do the same thing except hit the 'Disc Defragmentation' heading usually right under the 'Disc Clean-up' heading.  Have it analyze your disc drive for possible extra space it would gain by performing this operation.  It will just take a minute or two and will tell you whether or not it thinks you should defragment your files.  After two or three months, it should say that.  Make sure other programs are closed, when you do this.  Then, tell it to defragment your files and walk away.  If you are on dial-up, you may do this before going to bed and, then, find it clean by morning.  If you have DSL or cable at, say, 6 gigs, then, it won't take that long, but you can do it overnight anyway and it will have no interference.

                    These are just a few techniques to keep your computer cleaned up and running fast for you.  It's sort of like tuning up your car.

                    I would be interested in how all of this turns out.  We don't have take up space on the main azalea line.  Just e-mail me directly.

                    GK

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 13 11:47 AM
                      George,

                      I'm an IT pro, I got my first computer in 1984, a Radio Shack TRS 80.

                      Please be advised you will not be able to boot your computer to a portable hard drive by simply copying all your files from your fixed hard drive to your portable hard drive.

                      Chris Klapwijk
                      Surrey, BC

                      What I'm going to do is to remove WindowsXP Professional to a Western Electric portable hard drive. That will save all the programs. That should clean the computer's hard drive completely.
                    • Nicholas Yarmoshuk
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 13 4:50 PM
                        To all regarding changing the Operating System.
                        Of course what Chris says is correct.
                        As I understand it,  just taking your XP files and putting them on a hard drive and then trying to load the new Version 7 Operating System to the computer can cause serious problems . .  would it not?.   Don't you have to worry about the Registry, and other stuff,  beng upgraded.
                        When I installed my XP, the fellow who did it for me saved my wotk files to an external hard drive, then formatted the computer's hard drive and then loaded the new operating system.   The entire process best be left to someone who really knows what they are doing.
                        Nick Yarmoshuk

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 13 6:29 PM
                          Hi All,
                          Just to be specific: you should look at the files on your computer
                          as either data or programs. Data is information such as your pictures,
                          word processing documents, music, etc. Programs are files which use
                          that data, such as Photoshop for your pictures, Word for your text
                          documents, or the browser Firefox (if you aren't using the default
                          Internet Explorer).
                          Data can be saved to another hard drive, CDs or a thumb drive.
                          Programs must be reinstalled as they write their own special data to the
                          registry and that information is different in moving from XP to Windows 7.
                          Of course, you're backing up your data anyway since you never really
                          know when the drive might crash, right??
                          Barry

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 13 9:32 PM

                            Nick,

                            Just so you will know just exactly what I said to Mike, I'm reprinting it here below.

                            George Klump wrote: 12 October 2009

                            Mike,

                            I'm not all that savvy, but experience plus a long time electronics communications friend who makes an active hobby of computers and has to use them all the time has helped.

                            My Windows 7 program is due here in the next 10 to 15 days.  What I'm going to do is to remove WindowsXP Professional to a Western Electric portable hard drive.  That will save all the programs.  That should clean the computer's hard drive completely.

[...]

                            I fail to see where any problem would occur, Nick, since 1] I was merely telling Mike what I was going to do in a few days, hence, 2] with my hard drive clean, installing Windows 7 should be no problem at all and 3] I was merely telling Mike what I am going to do, but not expecting him to scrap his WindowsXP at all in favor of Windows 7.  Enter Chris who seems to have misunderstood our initial discussion, since he has quoted something else about "booting" my computer to a portable hard drive.  I must confess to expressing myself very badly here so that Chris may think I was going to transfer the entire WindowsXP program which is not what I'm going to do at all.  He's probably thinking "what a dumb nut George is".  I should have said that I will be removing pertinent files to a hard drive.  Beyond that I will transfer back to my computer any useful programs which Windows 7 may not have which I would like to have and in any event, I will transfer my files back to Windows 7I should have said I would remove my pertinent files to a portable hard drive, but used a poor choice of words to say so.  I have a WindowsXP disc, so I don't need to worry about rebooting the computer in any case, if I wanted to keep WindowsXP as a back-up system.  Beyond that I should have been more explicit by indicating I was referring to programs not already included with Windows 7.  And all of this is contingent upon any decision Mike may make about acquiring Windows 7 which, as you can see by the above, was not included in our discussion.  Mike's got everything stored on at least two portable hard drives, one with a capacity of 40 gigs, 10 + 30, the other with a capacity of 160 gigs.  That's all separate from his operating system.

                            As for what you have written -- "just taking your XP files and putting them on a hard drive. . . . ." -- makes no real computer sense either.  My WindowsXP files are already in my computer, on the C drive, actually.  Therefore if I remove WindowsXP so that my hard drive is clean, the installation of Windows 7 should reformat itself as it installs itself.  Then, as I said in the paragraph above, if I find there are some programs I would like to have which are not included with Windows 7 already, I can always add these in and be happy as a clam. ;-) There should be no "serious problems" created by doing this.  When a hard drive is wiped off clean, one has to either transfer the material to a portable hard drive or another computer or dump the material completely.  When I gave my old Dell Pentium III to our gardener and got my wife a new Dell 680, we transferred a few files off the Pentium III to her new 680 so that they would be available to her.  MS Office did not come with the 680 but Dell gave to her later upon her request.  However, Windows Vista was a problem and we dumped it in favor of WindowsXP Professional.  Windows Vista was a program not thoroughly thought through by Microsoft and they came near to forcing it upon computer buyers, old and new, which caused a national rebellion even Microsoft had to acknowledge by permitting computer manufacturers to offer both programs on brand new computers, i.e. WindowsXP or Windows Vista.  Windows 7 is a tacit admission that Windows Vista was a bomb! :-P :-[ I'm not at all sure what all of this has to do with azaleas, since it was a side issue Mike and I were discussing.  As I noted above, it really was not intended for the azalea line, but since you asked. . . . . . :-)

                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 13 10:34 PM

                              I hope you have a fast computer if you go with Windows 7.  I know they say it will work on slower computers, but my computer shop who helps keep my nine computers and about ten printers and scanners running, still likes Windows XP Pro.  In fact I bought a new computer today to replace one of the slowest of the nine computers and we are still staying with XP.  You probably will have to reinstall your programs, not just copy them back from your backup disk.  You can copy back the files in the programs, but most of the time the programs will have to be installed again from their original source which can be a real pain.  My personal computer which is as fast as could be purchased six months ago took me some time to get everything back in operation, but then again I use lots of programs!

                              I have more that 50,000 photographs on my computer system (not counting duplications) taking up about 500 Gigs that I store on two external drives which are 1 Terabit each.  I backup from one to the other.  I soon will have two backups, so that I have all of the pictures in three places in different buildings.  All my new pictures I download off of the camera to my 320 Gig C: drive where I name them.  Then I transfer a copy of each to main external drive where they go into folders by type like “Rhododendron Hybrids” with sub folders under them.  I still keep an original on the C: drive by date.  Also since memory cards for cameras are so cheap, so far I am also keeping the original memory card and not writing over that card.  I have also scanned some 30,000 slides with a Nikon scanner and maybe have another 10,000 to go.  It is more of a pain to get the scans named than to scan them, though I have employees who do that when they don’t have other things that must be done.

                              Aren’t computers fun????

                              Harold Greer

                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 13 10:41 PM

                                Chris,

                                I’m not an IT pro, but have owned more computers than I like to remember.  I also had one of the very first Radio Shack computers with a cassette drive as the storage.  Then I had several Kaypros, remember them???

                                I also had a $25,000 system where the 10 M drive was the size of a two drawer filing cabinet!  That ended up being flop and I terminated the contract with the company because they could not make it work.

                                Harold

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 14 7:21 AM
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 14 7:47 AM
                                    Hi Harold,

                                    my TRS 80 also had a cassette player for storage and I do remember the Kaypros, I had a couple of those as well.

                                    My first 286 (used) cost me $5,000! I now build new systems for around $400, OS included.

                                    We've come a long way in 25 years.

                                    Chris Klapwijk
                                    Surrey, BC

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 14 2:57 PM
                                      Harold, you are on the money with your remarks below.  From the little I know I do understand that before a new operating system (an upgrade) can be installed every saved file (not the programs that are installed) must be removed from your hard drive (if your programs, operating system and saved files reside on the same single hard drive) to off-line media like a back-up drive.

                                      That single main hard drive will have to be wiped clean (there is a technical word for that, reformatted maybe) and then the new operating system (OS) is installed on that blank hard drive.  Any programs or software you had installed will have to be reinstalled from original disks (CD or DVD if you still have them) to your hard drive with the new OS (like Windows 7) and your original saved filles will need to be copied back to the hard drive.

                                      The problem I fear at this point in upgrading to a new OS is installing the old programs/software.  Will the same MS Office and PhotoShop that ran well under Windows XP Home be compatible with Windows 7, OR will you have to buy all new software to access and use your saved files.  Can someone more knowledgeable that me answer that compatibility program.  The issue of software compatibility under Windows 7 seems compounded when people like me who use XP Home would have to leapfrog from XP to Windows 7 without ever having installed the intermediate Microsoft Vista operating system.

                                      I love XP and will stay with it as long as I can.  I feel a bit safe in that all my saved files are on a second hard drive that contains NO software, just saved files.  I try NOT to save anything to My Documents and My Photos since those files are stored on the same drive with all programs/software and the operating system.  Also any files stored on the Desktop are on the drive with programs/OS.  I regularly move those Desktop files to a safe folder/directory on my second hard drive.

                                      Someone correct me if I erred any any  way in the comments above.  I would lose a wealth of plant information if I lost either drive C or D:  I took more than 1000 photos during an 8-day stay in San Diego, not counting my wife's photos, which are higher resolution.

                                      \Speaking of valuable plant computer files, last night about 1:30 AM I finished the four pages of handout information for a program on container bogs that I will give to the SC native plant society Saturday PM at Poinsett State Park.  Now to finish the photo-based PowerPoint presentation.

[...]

                                      Give Back

                                      Yahoo! for Good

                                      Get inspired

                                      by a good cause.

                                      Y! Toolbar

                                      Get it Free!

                                      easy 1-click access

                                      to your groups.

                                      Yahoo! Groups

                                      Start a group

                                      in 3 easy steps.

                                      Connect with others.

                                      .

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 14 3:07 PM
                                        Chris and Harold:
                                        I still have a compact PS2 Model 30 or 25 computer that still works. It used two 3.5 inch disks, one with the OS on it, the second with stored files.  It was a first computer for my wife, children and I.  I still have the files of artwork our children created  and ocassionallly email the files to the now-grown youngsters.  There was a way to upgrade that computer to a 10 megabyte hard drive.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 14 3:57 PM
                                          Hi Mike,

                                          download and install the Microsoft Windows 7 compatibility test, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B544E90-7659-4BD9-9E51-2497C146AF15&displaylang=en

                                          Windows XP Home Edition mainstream support was retired on 4/14/2009, extended support will be retired 4/8/2014, http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&p1=3221&x=13&y=19

                                          Chris Klapwijk
                                          Surrey, BC

                                          ________________________________
[...]

                                          Recent Activity
                                          * 1
                                          New MembersVisit Your Group
                                          Give Back
                                          Yahoo! for Good
                                          Get inspired
                                          by a good cause.
                                          Y! Toolbar
                                          Get it Free!
                                          easy 1-click access
                                          to your groups.
                                          Yahoo! Groups
                                          Start a group
                                          in 3 easy steps.
                                          Connect with others.
                                          .
                                        • George Klump
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 14 9:21 PM

                                            Mike,

                                            Harold is absolutely right in making the distinction between programs and files.   He is using WindowsXP Professional as am I.  You are apparently using WindowsXP Home which is a little different, but not too much.  Files should be saved as indicated, e.g. to a portable hard drive which you do regularly.  Most of the good programs will probably be included with Windows 7 anyway.  And they will very likely be improved versions.

                                            The issue everyone seems concerned about is this: if a good program one wishes to keep is not on the new software operating system, e.g. Windows 7 in this case, this does not mean it is not compatible with Windows 7, only that it was not included for some reason or other.  Then, that program would have to be installed in addition to everything else which came with Windows 7.  Most of the good programs can usually be obtained from Filehippo or else one just has to go out and buy the program separately.  Most of the good programs, the NT type, are all compatible with a good PC.  The problems tend to occur with Mac programs or adopting Windows programs to Mac.  Microsoft has taken to making adjustments on many of their programs so that they will work smoothly on a Mac.

                                            Mike Creel wrote:

[...]

                                            Visit Your Group
                                            Give Back

                                            Yahoo! for Good

                                            Get inspired

                                            by a good cause.

                                            Y! Toolbar

                                            Get it Free!

                                            easy 1-click access

                                            to your groups.

                                            Yahoo! Groups

                                            Start a group

                                            in 3 easy steps.

                                            Connect with others.

                                            .

                                          • sjperk5
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 15 4:57 PM
                                              Although I have upgraded operating systems on computers for nonprofit groups, I personally never upgrade to the newer operating system.

                                              My practice is buy an inexpensive pc and put nonprograms on a second hard drive and keep using the machine until I have broken in the next one.

                                              When I decide I need the new operating system I buy a new inexpensive pc with the operating system already installed. I move the second hard drive to the new machine. I add the programs I need to the new machine and keep using the old one for the programs I have yet to reload.

                                              I have all my machines on a home network. I usually have 2 pcs and Sally has a pc and a laptop.

                                              For the most part, there has been very little reason to change operating systems since Windows 2000.

                                              Hardware gets better. Software gets bigger.

                                              John Perkins