Re: [AZ] Life Span of Azaleas

  • evelyn or david purdy
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2009
      Please pardon my crude computer technique. I am an inexpert klutz when it comes to these things. I can offer the following inexpert, random information n the life of azaleas:

      I. On my former property in New York there is ana zalea I grew from seed and is now at least 43 years old. It resmbles calendulaceum, and is about fifteen feet tall.

      2. Also on my former propery, there is a group of Irlam hybrid deciduous azaleas grown from seed about 1969, making them 40 years old.

      3. This is about camellia, a related genus. At Middleton Place Gardens near Charleston SC, there is a clump of four camellias, or there was several years ago. Three are supposed to be the original camellias imported to this country, and were planted about 1850, making them about 150 years old.

      4. Somewhere in the Journal of the American Rhododendron Society, maybe thirty years ago, there is a photo of an evergreen azalea, actually a tree about ten to fifteen feet tall. It was said to be 300 to 400 years old.

      Regardss, David Purdy
      From: Barry Sperling <barrysperling@ ix.netcom. com>
      Subject: Re: [AZ] Life Span
      To: azaleas@yahoogroups .com
      Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 9:37 PM

      I remember reading in other threads that individual plants are currently
      living after 300 or 400 years, so no one knows what their lifespan is.
      Therefore, if one dies it's YOUR fault (or a tree falls on it, or deer
      eat it to the ground, or your neighbor sprays Roundup on it, or...)
      Barry

      p.s. I know the word SWAG in another context. What does it mean here?