Azalea Varieties

  • George Klump
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2009

      Brent,

      Can't say that I know any particular nursery in Central Florida which carries Kurumes.  There probably are some.

      However, one of the largest collection of Kurume azaleas anywhere may be found at Nuccio's Nurseries, 3555 Chaney Trail, Altadena, California 91001, tel. (626) 794-3383.  They will ship anywhere.  If you call, ask for Tom Nuccio and you may use my name.

      George Klump
      Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA

      P.S. You will need a very light weight soil, no hard clay.  We use coarse peat moss, perlite and redwood bark in equal parts, i.e. 1 - 1 - 1.  You can use a good bark, e.g. pine or orchid bark.  Orchid bark is usually Douglas fir bark.  If you use that, then, the formula for the mix is 1 - 1 - 2.  We use this mix almost exclusively, since it promotes drainage which is absolutely essential to all Ericacae plants.  Without rapid drainage you will have trouble.  The azaleas will take just about all the water you can give them, but it must drain away from the root zone about as fast as it comes in.