Re: [AZ] Flower Color Red in Evergreen Azaleas

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2009
      Tad,

      Yama-tsutsuji is the Japanese name for Rhododendron kaempferi --- generally on the orangey-red side of red.

      I believe Kerama-tsutsuji or R. scabrum is redder and certainly has a larger flower.  Wilson describes the color as an "intense scarlet" but it varies to a rose-red.

      'Karafune' is listed in the IRRC as a Satsuki, but I haven't been able to find anything about its background.  You might ask Don Hyatt who had it listed and pictured in the 2006 plant CD as a Kurume.

      In the AZALEAN article on the Harris hybrids (Vol. 24. No. 1, Spring 2002, p. 7, the Harris cultivar name is 'Coronado Red' which is described as bright red.

      Bill

      iltkyao wrote:

      Hello Barry and Dr.Bill;

      Thank you both for the input;

      Barry-- would you consider Mountain or Hill Azalea (Yama-tsutsuji) as the source of the red hybrid evergreen azaleas that we see today in our gardens??

      'Karafune' was listed /available during the 2006 ARS/ASA convention, but I could not find it on the tables. Do you know how this hybrid ?? came to the states.

      thanks Tadeusz- Illinois- Lake Michigan Chapter Azalea Society of America.