R. pruniforlium "Jezebel"

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11 2:21 PM
    • 1 Attachment
    • 55 KB
    I happened across a photo today of the prunifolium named Jezebel that Glenn O'Sheal in the foothills of South Carolina grows. I am pretty sure that it set multiple bud clusters on stem ends which open all at the same time, creating a ball truss. I remember sticking and rooting some of this variety from when Glenn and his/my friend Patricia Phillips came to visit me several years ago. We traded plant materials and plants.

    Does anyone else grow R. prunifolium Jexebel, and have you had it flower? It seems a very worthy cultivar. A photo is attached.

    I planted out two pots of occidentale cuttings today in a sandy area in my woods that always seems to hold good moisture. I dug up several thriving native (nondescrip) azalea seedlings (that were thriving in the spot.

    Mike Creel
    Lexington, SC
  • Glenn O'Sheal
    Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12 7:20 AM
      Hi Mike and all,

      "Jezebel" is the name I gave the plant.  It is not a registered name, and it only grows in my garden except for a few plants I have given to friends and your rooted cuttings.  It is a prolific bloomer and is about 10 feet tall now and puts on a spectacular show every year.  I really think it would be worth spreading around as I think it is fantastic.

      Glenn O'Sheal
      Easley, SC

      What goes around comes around. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching.

      Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12 11:58 AM
        Please take some more photos of Jezebel this season.  Not many plumleaf azaleas form ball trusses.  The multi-budding plumleaf I grow, which I call David Ellis, because he sent me the seedling, has buds (though in one cluster) which open in a staggered fashion.  It is Just starting to open (with limited multiple buds due to the earlier drought), but I can see many multiple bud clusters forming for the 2010 season.

        I am fortunate to have your Jezebel prunifolium from the cuttings I rooted of it, in the same pot with a cream evergreen azalea.  I live in the fear that I will leave this earth before sharing some idea or plant that others would be useful or enjoyable to other gardeners.  To me it is treasure indeed to have my few plant discoveries growing in other people's gardens.  That is a legacy that should never die.
        Mike Creel, Lexington, SC