Re: [AZ] could you please help me figure out what these plants are?

  • Steve & Darlene Henning
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2009
      Obviously, the gentleman has azaleas, not honeysuckle. But to put in perspective what we in Pennsylvania and New York call honeysuckle, let me describe what we have.

      We are blessed with several types of honeysuckle. One type is a bush honeysuckle that is a Lonicera, and has a bush that is similar to forsythia. It blooms very early and has the characteristic sweet smell. Some forms are native and some are alien. They include: Lonicera maackii (Rupr.) Maxim., L. morrowii A. Gray, L. x bella Zabel, L. standishii Jacques, L. tatarica L.

      The other form is a climbing vine. If there is nothing to climb, it covers the ground. If there is anything to climb, it will go to the top. It is similar to kudzu in that respect. It is blooming right now and has that strong pervasive sweet smell associated with honeysuckle. When I raised Christmas trees, my two main tasks were pruning and cutting down the vine honeysuckle. It is Japanese honeysuckle, Lonicera japonica.

      Steve Henning

      --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Miller III" <bill@...> wrote:

      > Harold,
      >
      > I thought about that possibility, but he used the expression --- "form
      > of honeysuckle." In my experience, most references to bush
      > honeysuckle (native azaleas) are southern, and this guy was from the far
      > southwest corner of NY state, south of Buffalo.
      >
      > Bill
      >

      > Harold Greer wrote:
      > >

      > > Bill,
      > >

      > > I believe he is speaking of the honeysuckle azalea, R. canescens, not
      > > the real honeysuckle which is the Genus Lonicera. The white and pink
      > > could be R. canescens or R. perclymenoides, it is hard to tell from a
      > > photo.
      > >

      > > The orange could be an Exbury Knap Hill type or a hybrid of R.
      > > calendulaceum or R. cumberlandense, but I would tend to guess the
      > > Exbury type.
      > >

      > > Harold Greer

    • Harold Greer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2009

        Bill,

        I agree he says that they are a “form of honeysuckle”, but I believe that he meant to say “form of honeysuckle azalea”.  Though you certainly could be right.  Your thought was my first thought too.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2009

        On second thought, the orange azalea could be ‘Golden Eagle’ see my attached pictures.  Though it is hard to tell for sure from a picture.

        Harold Greer