RE: [AZ] Re:Color diversity of Western azalea decreases southward?

  • Harold Greer
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009

      Mark,

      I wish I could say that R. occidentale would grow in Huston, but sadly I doubt that it would.  You are better off to stay with the evergreen azaleas.

      Harold Greer

      From: Richard <red@redsrhodies. com>
      To: "Azalea Group" < azaleas@yahoogroups .com >
      Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 11:01 AM

      I would say that your statement is true in general although I would not call the northern plants 'tree like'. They are still a 'shrub' in that they are multi stemmed. They can be big shrubs and, depending on the location, get fairly tall. I have several in the garden that are 8' or so but they are in afternoon shade or very old, 30+ years, plants. In many areas in the wild they are periodically burned and come back with vigor after a fire. Last week we were in an area that burned in 2002 and the R. occ were up to 5' in some areas. All in full sun as all the trees were burned.

      I have no idea why they are stoloniferous down south. We do not see that up north.

      Dick 'Red' Cavender, Red's Rhodies, Sherwood Oregon USA Zone 8

    • rich93023
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
        Mark,
        Or the "Confederate series" of deciduous azaleas might be a good choice in the Houston area (depending on soil conditions, of course) as they were bred to tolerate the hot, humid summers of the deep south. Based on everything I've heard and read, R. occidentale does not thrive anywhere in the U.S. east of the Cascades - Sierra Nevada - Peninsular Range mountains.
        Coincidentally, while trying to grow deciduous azaleas in the hot, dry conditions of a coastal valley in southern California (Ojai, zone 9), one thing I have noticed is that varieties that produce abundant stoloniferous growth seem to thrive here, whereas those that do not tend to decline and die in a few years. I'm not sure which is the cause and which is the effect, but I would be interested in hearing if anybody else has noticed a similar pattern.
        Rich D.