variegated R. calendulaceum

  • parker little
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2009
      On page 115 in American Azaleas by C. Towe is a photograph of my R. calendulaceum that I found in our woods in West Virgina in 2001. I have named the plant 'Variegated Flame'. When it was found it was only 4 inches tall. It is very slow growing with variegated leaves on only three small branches. It has not flowered because it is too young. It has not been propagated, but I will attempt to try a few stems next month.
      Parker Little

      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2009
        Variegated deciduous azaleas seem to be a pretty rare item.  I greatly enjoy my two large plants of Don's Variegated from the Dodd nursery, a cross of Exbury and austrinum.  A variegated calendulaceum could be very interesting.  I guess your calendulaceum was rooted from a limb sport.  I once had a well variegated flammeum seedling in a pot, but a squirell uprooted it and it dried out before I noticed it.  That was before I started covering my seedling pots with a wire mesh varmint cap, secured with wires
        Mike Creel, SC

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
          Mike,
             The variegated flame azalea is a seedling found at about 3,000 ft. in elevation in oak woods. Sorry to hear about the rodent that killed your variegated azalea. A similar problem occurred to a variegated American beech sport that was being rooted at UNC Chapel Hill a few years ago. What a terrible loss. I now add a few old lobolly pine cones to the surface of containers to repel the darn rodents. They do not like the sharp cone scales on their tender paws!