Bob Barry Passed Away

  • Bill Miller
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2004
      I just received a phone call from Barbara Bullock at the National
      Arboretum informing me that Bob Barry passed away today. She didn't
      have any details, but I thought I should post the information.

      Bill Miller
      Bethesda, Maryland
    • Buddy Lee
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2004
        This is truly sad news.  Bob Barry has been a steadfast and active member of the ASA for a long time. I can still remember the wonderful flower arrangement that Bob had on display at the 2004 National Convention. It was always a pleasure to visit with Bob and  Freda at the national conventions.

        Buddy

        Bill Miller <bill@...> wrote:
        I just received a phone call from Barbara Bullock at the National
        Arboretum informing me that Bob Barry passed away today.  She didn't
        have any details, but I thought I should post the information.

        Bill Miller
        Bethesda, Maryland

        When you reply to this email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.  Also PLEASE tell us where you garden (city, state or at least your USDA zone).

        We welcome images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel .jpg images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal.

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Don Hyatt
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
          Yes, very sad... Bob was a good friend and a real talent too. He will be
          missed.

          Bob's flower arrangement at the 2004 Convention was titled "Red
          Slippers". It was cleverly composed entirely of the red Back Acres
          azalea hybrid called 'Red Slippers' and he positioned a pair of red
          oriental slippers just below the sweeping curve to complete the design.
          It was just beautiful! The flower quality was just flawless too. I
          couldn't believe he was growing an azalea that I considered borderline
          hardy in my DC area to such perfection in West Virginia! Bob assured me
          that his plants were outside and not raised in some climate controlled
          greenhouse. :-)

          If anyone is interested, I do have a small picture of his arrangement as
          well as the full results of the Convention Flower Show posted in a
          recent newsletter for the Potomac Valley Chapter ARS:
          <www.donaldhyatt.com/ARSPVC/articles/News0504.html>

          Don Hyatt
          McLean, VA
          Don@...

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
            At 5:21 PM -0400 on 9/29/04, Bill Miller wrote
            >I just received a phone call from Barbara Bullock at the National
            >Arboretum informing me that Bob Barry passed away today. She didn't
            >have any details, but I thought I should post the information.

            I spoke to Freda Barry yesterday evening. They celebrated their 50th
            wedding anniversary early this summer, which Bob orchestrated. He
            started declining soon after for reasons the doctors couldn't
            determine, and became so weak and confused Freda couldn't take care
            of him. He died soon after being admitted to the hospital. Freda is
            relieved it didn't take long, and he was not in great pain.

            For those who didn't know Bob Barry, he and his wife Freda were some
            of the original members of the Azalea Society. Bob was very involved
            with the distribution and evaluation of the Brookside Gardens Satsuki
            azaleas about 25 years ago, and he is one of the people thanked by
            Fred Galle in his preface to "Azaleas"..

            Regards,
            Bob