Re: [AZ] Seeking descriptive list or website of Ghent azaleas

  • jeansharpa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2009
      Mike-
      Look at the Azalea Society  of America web site. www.azaleas.org

      Jean A., Rockport, TX  -Zone 9

      In a message dated 5/5/2009 9:51:39 P.M. Central Daylight Time, mikeacreel@... writes:

      Grown from plants propagated by Allen Cantrell at Fern Gully Nursery in Chesnee, SC, I have a small patch of Ghents ( am rooting some others) in my back woods that is doing surprisingly well. Five are currently in the patch - Julius Caesar, Cuprea Ardens, Bijou de Amateurs and Josephine Klinger and Coccinea Speciosa. They may not all be as labelled, for last year the Coccinea Speciosa bloomed a beautiful yellow orange. I think Bijou may have died, as one plant did die.

      Is there a descriptive list of the Ghent varieties or a web site about them?

      The second or third wave of natives has now started in my yard and woods, with several calendulaceums and the first plant in three patches of eastmanii. One of the calendulaceums I call Walhalla Gold is a cross of two yellow cals by Clarence Towe.

      Mike Creel, Lexington, SC

    • Allen Cantrell
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2009
        Mike,

        I don't know if you remember or not, but when I gave you the plants I
        told you the names may not be correct on the Ghents. That they needed to
        be checked. I have not sold any of the Ghent because I didn't want a lot
        of miss named plants out there... coming from my nursery. Not good for
        business. The Ghent collectors in Europe have starts from these plants.
        I hope in a few years they can tell me which are named correct or put a
        correct name on the others, some may never be matched back up with a
        name. These came out of a old abandoned test garden at Glenn Dale
        Maryland, part of the National Arboretum. I suggest you us the catalog
        numbers until the names are checked and note the name might be....???.
        May be one day I will have a list and if you or whoever has the catalog
        number the name can be found.

        Glad to here they are still doing well and can take the heat down your way.

        Allen Cantrell

        > Grown from plants propagated by Allen Cantrell at Fern Gully Nursery in
        > Chesnee, SC, I have a small patch of Ghents ( am rooting some others) in
        > my back woods that is doing surprisingly well. Five are currently in the
        > patch - Julius Caesar, Cuprea Ardens, Bijou de Amateurs and Josephine
        > Klinger and Coccinea Speciosa. They may not all be as labelled, for last
        > year the Coccinea Speciosa bloomed a beautiful yellow orange. I think
        > Bijou may have died, as one plant did die.
        >
        > Is there a descriptive list of the Ghent varieties or a web site about
        > them?
        >
        > The second or third wave of natives has now started in my yard and woods,
        > with several calendulaceums and the first plant in three patches of
        > eastmanii. One of the calendulaceums I call Walhalla Gold is a cross of
        > two yellow cals by Clarence Towe.
        >
        > Mike Creel, Lexington, SC
      • theo damen
        Message 3 of 9 , May 7, 2009
          Hi Mike,
          http://www.bloemisterijmatthijs.be/  has  a lot of gentse.. and info about them.
          And for the book about the gentse:
          http://www.hardegentse.be/pages/home.htm

          I do have the book here and we do have a lot of them in the garden (Belmonte, Wageningen universiti) so if you want some answers, just let me know.

          Greetings Theo.

          To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com
          From: mikeacreel@...
          Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 19:51:10 -0700
          Subject: [AZ] Seeking descriptive list or website of Ghent azaleas

          Grown from plants propagated by Allen Cantrell at Fern Gully Nursery in Chesnee, SC, I have a small patch of Ghents ( am rooting some others) in my back woods that is doing surprisingly well. Five are currently in the patch - Julius Caesar, Cuprea Ardens, Bijou de Amateurs and Josephine Klinger and Coccinea Speciosa. They may not all be as labelled, for last year the Coccinea Speciosa bloomed a beautiful yellow orange. I think Bijou may have died, as one plant did die.

          Is there a descriptive list of the Ghent varieties or a web site about them?

          The second or third wave of natives has now started in my yard and woods, with several calendulaceums and the first plant in three patches of eastmanii. One of the calendulaceums I call Walhalla Gold is a cross of two yellow cals by Clarence Towe.

          Mike Creel, Lexington, SC

          Deel je favoriete foto's online met Windows Live Photos
          Message 4 of 9 , May 7, 2009
            Thank you so much.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  May I send you a few photos of the Ghents that have bloomed for me?  One is a beautiful yellow.  Are the web sites written in Dutch (Flemish)? I have Dutch in my ancient family lineage before 1600, Cree/Kreel/Kriel.
            Mike Creel

            To: azaleas@yahoogroups .com

            Message 5 of 9 , May 7, 2009
              goedendag Mike Kriel,
              yeah sorry the first one is dutch, the second has also englisch in it.
              and yes you can send me those picture's i love to see them!
              Grreting Theo.

              To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com
              From: mikeacreel@...
              Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 12:55:49 -0700

              To: azaleas@yahoogroups .com
              From: mikeacreel@yahoo. com
              Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 19:51:10 -0700

[...]

              Haal meer uit je Hotmail met Internet Explorer 8. Download nu
            • SJPERK5
              Message 6 of 9 , May 9, 2009
                Many of those named Ghents are growing ....or at least labeled as such at
                the Arnold Arboretum. To my knowledge Galle has the best list but he may
                have used the Arnold's list.

                John and I went to the Arnold Arboretum yesterday and found a large clump of
                5 plants labeled as canescens that were just coming into bloom. We saw it in
                the winter and wondered about the 2 different buds that were present in the
                5 plants. Yesterday we determined that despite the label saying they were
                all canescens from Woodlanders 30 years ago, 3 were periclymenoides and 2
                were canescens.

                Maybe I am finally figuring these things out but it doesn't help when the
                arboretums have the wrong labels.

                PS. There are 2 clumps recently planted R. flammeum from Appalachia nursery
                that are labeled as calendulaceum.

                Going to have to tell them.

                Sally Perkins, Salem, NH.
              • theo damen
                Message 7 of 9 , May 10, 2009
                  I know that they have indeed a big collection of Gentse, but the problem with most arboreta is that they buy plants with a name and there is no time or knowledge to check if it is right.
                  But it is even worse because most arboreta have a seedlist and get seeds from that and most of those plants are open pollinated, so all the arboreta's over the world are full of hybridised plants with a nice label on it.
                  So lesson 1 never believe a label!
                  I work for the Wageningen Universiti and here we have the same problem, in my spare time i deal with the rhodo's and it take a lot of time to find out if the name is correct, and a lot of them were not!
                  We are always very happy to hear that something is wrong so i believe that you really should contact the arnold arboretum.
                  Greetings Theo

                  To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com