Azaleas bark scale

  • cazjmh
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2009
      My alaleas have bark scale and the branches are all black with mold. Is there anything I can do naturally to get rid of bark scale and this black mold? I did see other posts that say to use Imidacloprid but this chemical sure looks like it is very determental to humans, animals and insects. I always like to stay away from chemicals and try to garden naturally.
    • Steve & Deloris
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2009
        Lori, so I can put both signs at the North House?
        Deloris

        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2009
          So sorry group...I accidentally picked the e-mail next to the azalea one.  Please accept my apology.
          Deloris Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2009
            I have had good success with horticultural oil spray. It is about the only thing that I have found that does a good job and is environmentally friendly.

            Dick 'Red' Cavender, Red's Rhodies, Sherwood Oregon USA Zone 8
          • SJPERK5
            Message 5 of 6 , May 5, 2009

              The time honored technique is to manually kill the scale. You can squish the scale insects using your hands. I suggest you wear latex-free gloves and a mask because the mold may be a respiratory hazard and no one has tested the scale or its excretions for toxicity. If you have the desire to use chemicals, rubbing alcohol can be manually applied using q-tip swabs, again with same precautions (perhaps stronger gloves) as the fumes are toxic and the rubbing alcohol is a known poison. Both require hours of time and frequent checks during the active growing season. There is always soap and water, heavy on the soap but that will contaminate the soil unless you go out and buy Safer Soap. Best bet is with horticultural oils (toxic to fish) NOT household vegetable oil. Both of these require spraying the stems (good respirator) so that the entire stems and petioles are soaked and repeating the sequence every 2 weeks during the growing season. Once the scale is gone the mold will disappear or at least be less obvious. I would not think you would want to try to bleach the stems. Live with the discoloration and check for re-infestations frequently.

              Keep leaves and debris away from the base of the stems and increasing the air circulation around the plant will be helpful in reducing the infestation.

              Sally Perkins

              So sorry group...I accidentally picked the e-mail next to the azalea one.  Please accept my apology.

              Deloris Smith

              Lori, so I can put both signs at the North House?

              Deloris

              My alaleas have bark scale and the branches are all black with mold. Is there anything I can do naturally to get rid of bark scale and this black mold? I did see other posts that say to use Imidacloprid but this chemical sure looks like it is very determental to humans, animals and insects. I always like to stay away from chemicals and try to garden naturally.

              size=2 width="100%" align=center>

              size=2 width="100%" align=center>

            • jeansharpa@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 5, 2009
                Thanks, but my inquiry was about wilt or dieback, not scale. I find no insects on either affected azalea, just wilting at the tip of the center branches initially,then the leaves turn brownish and the branches die.

                Thanks, tho