question about older azalea variety

  • Judith N. Suiter
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2009
      Hello -

      I would like to know if anyone is familiar with an older variety of
      azalea that was common in the 1960s and 1970s in and around
      Chattanooga, TN, and the Town of Signal Mountain, in particular. Many
      of the older homes are landscaped with these large azalea shrubs from
      decades ago - these azaleas have many small flowers and are a very
      vivid magenta color. If anyone knows the name of this variety and if
      it is still available anywhere for purchase, please let me know. Thank you -

      Judy Suiter
    • Barry Sperling
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2009
        Hi Judith,
        If the plant is a very early bloomer, compared to a lot of other
        azaleas, then it might be Amoenum (which I've seen for sale occasionally
        in the Washington, DC area). Good luck,
        Barry

        Judith N. Suiter wrote:

        > Hello -
        >
        > I would like to know if anyone is familiar with an older variety of
        > azalea that was common in the 1960s and 1970s in and around
        > Chattanooga, TN, and the Town of Signal Mountain, in particular. Many
        > of the older homes are landscaped with these large azalea shrubs from
        > decades ago - these azaleas have many small flowers and are a very
        > vivid magenta color. If anyone knows the name of this variety and if
        > it is still available anywhere for purchase, please let me know. Thank
        > you -
        >
        > Judy Suiter
        >
        > __
      • George Klump
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2009
          Hi, Judith,

          It also sounds like it may be a member of the Kurume azalea group.  Over the years those plants have been known to become quite large.  The Japanese often trim them to a smooth round shape.  When they bloom, the azalea is covered with small flowers in such profusion that the entire bush looks as if it is nothing but flowers for a while.

          George Klump
          Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA