Re: [AZ] rooting from a live plant

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2009
      H Janet,

      The technique is called "air layering."  It is done just as you described.  Prior to wrapping the stem with foil or plastic wrap, it might be advisable to "wound" or gently scratch the bark and apply a little rooting hormone to the small wound ---- then wrap it.

      A similar but perhaps easier approach is "ground layering."  You bend a branch down to the ground, wound the branch where it touches the ground, apply a little rooting hormone to the wound, and put a brick on it to hold it in place on the ground.  Over time (perhaps several months), the branch will develop roots at the site of the wound.  I'd wait to separate the new little plant from the mother plant until some time next spring.  By the way, if you have some big old azaleas, you can often find where they have ground layered themselves --- so the wounding and the brick are obviously not essential.

      William C. Miller III
      Bethesda, Maryland
      www.theazaleaworks.com

      janetbrock@... wrote:

      This is from the ASK US page, so send me a CC.
      I live in birmingham Al and want to root some existing azaleas. My father used to put aluminum foil with mulch or dirt around a blooming stem as I recall to grow a new plant. Does anyone know how to do this?