Re: Satsuki Misnames and Synonyms

  • S. M. Henning
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2004
      >I wish someone would work with our Japanese
      >horticulture counterparts and develop a
      >cross-reference list of the real names for all the
      >Satuki azaleas and the corresponding mispelled and
      >shortened names we all too often use over here. Take
      >the cultivar Gumbi, a name long used in American
      >lists, but none existent on Japanese lists. I think I
      >have a Gumbi.

      Hi Mike,

      I haven't seen it, but there is a Satsuki Azalea Book:

      Floral Treasures of Japan: the Satsuki Azaleas
      Alxander Kennedy
      Photos and descriptions of numerous Satsukis, most of which are now
      available in the west. Covers many of the practical aspects.
      Inspiring and informative.

      196 Pages, 160 color photos, 8 1/2" x 11", hardcover .

      B-FTJ $29.95 from http://www.stonelantern.com/booksbonsai.html

      From Stone Lantern Publishing this book explores Satsuki and their
      history as well as how they are grown and shown in present-day Japan.
      It covers some of the many practical aspects of caring for these
      wonderful plants plus photographs and description of some of the
      Satsuki most readily available in the West.

      *Contents: *What are satsuki? *Wild origins and relatives *Satsuki as
      bonsai *Satsuki flowers *Kanuma - home of satsuki *Satsuki festivals
      and exhibitions *Satsuki growth and pruning *Satsuki propogation
      *Creating a satsuki bonsai *Cultural requirements *Popular satsuki
      varieties

      Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

      http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman