  • Woods Gerald M
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2009

      I live in Kenner , a suburb of New Orleans , LA.      I purchased blooming Azaleas from Home Depot.  They seem to be of all different types.     Questions:  How large will they get?     What is the blooming season?    How to keep them blooming?     Please advise.

    • michael.campbell3@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2009
        There are all different types you can plant.  If you want something with vivid yellow/red flowers there are dodd confederate series and aromis that you will like (they're deciduous though).  If you want big there are Pride of Mobile, Formasa, and others.  If you want multiple blooming with interesting/spiffy foilage there are Encore azaleas.  If you want spring and fall bloomers which more or less resemble regular azaleas (vs. the spiffy looking encores) there are conversation piece, watchet, jenniffer (my favorite), koromu shikubu (my other favorite), primitive beauty, unsurpassable, fashion, and others.  Your main problem is that the local box store may not sell the best plants for your area.  When I lived in the Houston area I could never find the ones I wanted because they were selling them in IL (go figure).  Now that I live in the Chicago area the azaleas I want the most (Northern Lights) only seem to be sold in southern IL or south of Mason Dixon line.

        good luck and more will give their tips