Re: [AZ] (unknown)

  • Steve & Darlene Henning
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7 8:20 AM
      Tyler Arboretum did this. Only the healthy ones with good sun exposure
      came back. Those in shade or that were struggling died. So, even
      though some people do this and succeed, it doesn't always work.

      This method was started by people who cut the tops off wild azalea and
      moved them into their yards. In those cases the plants were growing in
      nature in areas they loved and it usually was successful.

      A more prudent course of action is to remove any extremely large
      branches if there are smaller younger branches coming out below them.
      Next, prune the top back to the height you want or slightly lower.

      Then in future years you can cut back about 1/3 of the plant until you
      get it where you want it.

      If you prune now you will be removing flower buds. Azaleas form their
      flower buds in the summer. It is best to prune immediately after they
      finish blooming so you don't loose the next season's bloom.

      Good Luck,

      Steve Henning
      http://rhodyman.net/rasite.html

      --- michael.campbell3@... wrote:

      > Cut them down to the ground with a chainsaw and watch them come back
      better than ever. You might want to wait for a few others to chime in
      before you do something like that though.
      >----- shansfor@... wrote:
      >
      > I have several older, very large bushes in front of my house that do
      not bloom well in the spring and are extremely too large. I want to know
      how far I can cut them back. I don't mind if they look like "sticks" for
      the year. They are simply too high. I would greatly appreciate your
      help. Sue from Louisiana