2009 ASA Convention - Speaker Changes

  • Donald Hyatt
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi all,
      With snow on the ground and more on the way, some of us find it hard to believe that the Azalea Society Convention in Northern Virginia is only 2 months away.  Spring may be late this year, but we will have plenty of flowers in bloom by then. Trust me!

      My main purpose for writing is to alert this group about a change for one of our convention speakers on Saturday evening, May 2, 2009.  It is with regret I must inform you that Clarence Towe has had to withdraw for personal reasons.  Knowing that people were anxious to hear him speak on native azaleas, we have lined up an alternative that we hope you will all enjoy.

      John Brown and Bob Stelloh have kindly agreed to fill in for Clarence.  They are two of our most cherished leaders in the Azalea Society of America, and hosts of last year's convention in Asheville.  John is our current ASA president and Bob is past Treasurer and Webmaster. Both men have explored remote locations in the Southern Appalachian Mountains seeking rare populations and superior forms of R. vaseyi and other native azaleas. Both of them are extremely knowledgeable, but we have rarely heard them speak on their passion because they are always seem to be involved with the business side of our organization.

      Their program will be titled "Rhododendron vaseyi and the Southern Appalachians."  They will share beautiful images and personal experiences about this lovely species in its native setting including Pilot Mountain with its impressive stand of R. vaseyi, the Southern Highlands Reserve which has an even larger stand, and a variety of other locations between them.

      In the second slot that evening, George McLellan has agreed to modify his presentation to fill in some of the gaps.  His talk is titled "Celebrating our Native Flora - Coast to Coast."  He had originally planned to just touch on the native azalea species so as not to repeat content in Clarence's talk.  An expert on native azaleas himself, George will now be able to add much more about our native azaleas and the magnificent settings where they often grow as he discusses other plant materials as well. We hope this substitution will be acceptable with attendees.  Mark your calendars for Saturday, May 2, as the night we celebrate our native azaleas.

      For additional information on the convention including these speaker changes, an updated convention schedule, flower show entry rules, additional tours, and registration forms, please check out our website:

      One additional reminder... there is but two weeks left to take advantage of the "early registration" savings.  After March 15, the $35 registration fee will go up to $50.  We hope you can come, but let us know soon as it helps us plan!

      Thanks,

      Don Hyatt
      McLean, VA