Re: [AZ] occidentale crosses

  • sjperk5
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
      Mike

      Our crosses of occidentale onto 4ns did not take but we have not
      attempted that many because we did not want to waste the pollen. When
      the ARS is paying for the pollen we try not to waste it attempting to
      prove to ourselves that the pollen will not produce seed.

      I know the first time we got occidentale pollen we tried it on MY
      Mary and Marydel and both failed. I know this year occidentale failed
      to take on calendulaceum Cherokee but the same pollen took on 7
      different 2ns.

      4n clade X 2n clade (for deciduous azaleas) may well be possible but
      we are 0 for about 50.

      We did 18 crosses onto Cherokee. The 5 4ns took and the 13 2ns
      failed. The 5 that took produced big seed pods and the 13 that failed
      produced nothing.

      Your mileage may differ.

      John Perkins
      Salem, NH

      --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Mike Creel <mikeacreel@...> wrote:

      > Boy you two have really be busy pollinating.  I think I have some
      of your occidentale crosses planted in outdoor seed pots and
      scheduled for planting.  Did all the occidentale pollen come from the
      same west coast plant?  Have you ever though of mixing pollen from
      several occidentale and using it?  Did you try pollinating any known
      tetraploid azaleas?  Aren't there records of people crossing
      calendulaceum and occidentale?  I noticed that some seed of a cross
      ob luteum and occidentale is being offered from Kaarel Voitck.  How
      is that posslble?
      > Mike Creel, SC

    • sjperk5
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
        Mike

        We attempted to send you and Bruce a good represention of the deciduous
        azalea seed we produced this year because both of you have shown
        interest in growing deciduous azaleas from seed and live in climates
        different from ours.

        I am very interested to see what those 2n X 4n produce. Are the
        seedlings viable? Are the resulting plants fertile? What do they look
        like in flower? etc.

        Right now I consider deciduous azaleas to be my primary focus as far as
        Rhododendrons are concerned. I enjoy being single minded.

        We found another patch of R. viscosum in Salem, NH yesterday. We think
        we know the location for yet another.

        John Perkins