Re: [AZ] First emergence of flower color in evergreen azaleas, first leaves to show in decid

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2009
      Everything else seems normally dormant and tight.  I just had never noticed the R. canadense leafing out, maybe it is always this early.  The white Koromo Shikibu is a new planting from last season.  The yellowroot border behind my garage has its little umbrella of buds unfolding, but it is always the earliest thing to bloom with its fish fragrance, polinated by filter flies, like at the treatment plant.  We have have heavy rains for a day and a half, with snow predicted Sunday or Monday.
      Mike Creel, Lexington, SC

      From: Mike Creel

      I had long thought that R. prunifolium was the first native deciduous azalea to sprout leaves, but no, it is on the three R. canadense Album plants behind my deck. I need to check the other of that species in pots.

      On my evergreen azaleas a lot of white is visible on my oldest plant of White Koromo Shikibu from RareFind in New Jersey. Festive and its solid reversion Mike Bullard are showing bud activity, but now much color yet.