Re: [AZ] gallie's choice

  • Booper5@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
      Cason Callaway has opened a nursery and he is specializing in native azaleas off some of the acreage there.  Cason is not associated with Callaway Gardens but he is hte son.  He might have them
    • JOT
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
        thanks but do you know how to get in touch with him?
        Cason Callaway has opened a nursery and he is specializing in native azaleas off some of the acreage there.  Cason is not associated with Callaway Gardens but he is hte son.  He might have them

        When you reply to this email, please quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and delete the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
          At 9:03 AM -0500 on 1/1/04, JOT wrote
          >Cason Callaway has opened a nursery and he is specializing in native
          >azaleas off some of the acreage there. Cason is not associated with
          >Callaway Gardens but he is hte son. He might have them

          This nursery may be a cooperative venture with Ernest Koone. You can
          reach Ernest via <ekooneiii@...> to ask about that and about
          'Galle's Choice' availability.

          Regards,
          Bob Stelloh Hendersonville North Carolina USDA Zone 7
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
            I only hope someone has marked and protected plant or
            less likely "plants" so that Galle's Choice can be
            propagated. Too many great cultivars have been lost
            in time, lingering unreplicated in an old garden. I
            found the cultivar described on page 113 of my
            Azaleas: Revised and Enlarged Edition by Fred Galle,
            1999 reprint of 1987 book. Of the four cultivars
            listed - Choice Cream, Galle's Choice, Katy's Plum
            Kelly's Orange and White Flakes - only Choice Cream is
            in the nursery trade.

            It is sad that in selecting and naming so many
            wonderful native azalea forms - both wild and garden
            selections - we have protected so few by means of
            propagation and distribution. We get excited by a new
            discovery, put a name on it and the plant never
            increases beyond the ONE, due often to forgetfulness
            and moving on to newer plants but sometime due to a
            greedy gardener with PHS, or plant hoarding syndrome.
            Some folks just think they have discovered a gold mine
            and will not share a nugget. Many a wonderful and
            unique plant has been lost when the gardener leaves
            this earth. That will not be me. The truest
            treasures are those you share with others.
            --- Bob Stelloh <bstelloh@...> wrote:
            > At 9:03 AM -0500 on 1/1/04, JOT wrote
            > >Cason Callaway has opened a nursery and he is
            > specializing in native
            > >azaleas off some of the acreage there. Cason is
            > not associated with
            > >Callaway Gardens but he is hte son. He might have
            > them
            >
            > This nursery may be a cooperative venture with
            > Ernest Koone. You can
            > reach Ernest via <ekooneiii@...> to ask about
            > that and about
            > 'Galle's Choice' availability.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Bob Stelloh Hendersonville North Carolina USDA
            > Zone 7

            http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
          • Buddy Lee
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2004
              I have one plant of 'Galle's Choice Cream' .  I can't reminder who gave me the plant but seems like they had numerous rooted plants of it.  Maybe I'll remember their name later.  I also have several plants of 'Cream Ruffles', which is suppose to be a tet. I think that 'Cream Ruffles' is a Dr. Kehr plant.

              Will most of these hard to get plants be lost?  Sadly, probably so.  Plants that were fairly easy to purchase about 10 years ago are almost impossible to find now.  I remember back in the early 80's when John Rochester had over 1,000 azalea varieties that he rooted and shipped.  It looked mind boggling just to keep everything tagged correctly.  I don't think that I would want to tackle such a project.  I had purchased some hard to find azalea cultivars from Bill Steele a couple years ago.  The plants grew extremely well.  Mr Steele has numerous azalea cultivars listed. ('Cream Ruffles' is on his list).

              Buddy Lee
              Zone 8 SE LA

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • Buddy Lee

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2004
                  Compare your labelled Galle's Choice plant with the
                  descriptions of it and Choice Cream in Galle's book.
                  It may the only copy. I think there are two evergreen
                  Cream Ruffles, one a normal diploid and the second a
                  colchicine-induced form labelled Cream Ruffles Tet#6
                  Both of these plants need further propagation and
                  distributioon like the little patch of Tetraploid
                  atlanticum I have begun to propagate from Washington
                  County, NC.