Re: [AZ] austrinum album

  • GruenUhu@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 7 2:32 AM
      Hi Jim,
           I had purchased a plant from Woodlanders as R. austrinum alba years ago.
      I sent seeds to the exchange with the typo album. I notified the seed chair that it should be alba, but I guess it was too late to change the listing.
      Attached pic.                                                              Joe

      Joe Nemmer
      Mercer, Pa. zone 5a

      Great Deals on Dell Laptops. Starting at $499.
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 7 8:19 AM
        Joe, great photo of Austrinum Alba.  My photos of Austrinum Alba showed a good bit of pink during the unfolding stage of the buds.  Does your cold climate not bother this plant?  Have you grown any other austrinums successfully?  What is your lowest cold thus far this season?  I think the "austrinum-ness" of all the odd colored austrinum hybrids (including Millie Mac and its reverse in color patter Calamity Junction) is in question now with the discovery of R. colemanii and the odd, as yet unnamed tetraploid" pink austrinum" in Florida.

        What is the southern range limit for R. atlanticum?  I have not heard of it in Florida.

        Mike Creel, SC

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 7 8:53 AM

          I took this image at the NCS Arboretum last year. Labeled as per caption.

          Should be R. austrinum ‘Alba’ and not var. album

          Sally Perkins

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 7 8:56 AM
            I have added an image of a white seedling of Cahas White R.
            calendulaceum to the our chapter blog article on ploidy of native
            deciduous azaleas.

            http://rosebayblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/clad-ploidy-of-deciduous-
            azaleas.html

            Notice: The url has wrapped so you need to copy the second half.

            This appearance of on the edge members of the 4ns has always been
            viewed as supporting the concept of the interaction of 4ns and 2ns
            but the addition of 4ns species to the mix (or the moving from 2n to
            4n) makes this more suspect.

            According to Ron Miller and Clarence Towe the more they hurt the more
            on the edge members of the 4ns they find but they are coming the
            conclusion these are interaction of 4n populations or merely an
            extension of what is normal for a 4n species.

            We will also include an image of Millie Mac throwing a pink sport at
            the NC Arboretum. There is some thought that Mille Mac actually make
            be a member of a newly discovered 4n species rather than merely an
            extesnion of austrinum.

            John Perkins
            Salem, NH
          • SJPERK5
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 7 8:58 AM

              This was a sport that we spotted on austrinum ‘Millie Mac’ at the NCS Arboretum. I wanted to thank the gentleman who kindly held it side by side for comparison.

              Sally Perkins

            • Jim Willhite
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 7 9:10 AM
                Thanks Joe, I'm about to sow a little of that seed you donated last
                year, why I had asked about the white austrinum.
                jim willhite

                On Saturday, February 7, 2009, at 05:32 AM, GruenUhu@... wrote:

                > Hi Jim,
                >      I had purchased a plant from Woodlanders as R. austrinum alba
                > years ago.
                > I sent seeds to the exchange with the typo album. I notified the seed
                > chair that it should be alba, but I guess it was too late to change
                > the listing.
                > Attached
                > pic.                                                              Joe
                >
                > Joe Nemmer
                > Mercer, Pa. zone 5a

                <image.tiff>

                > Great Deals on Dell Laptops. Starting at $499.
                >
                > <austrinumalba.JPG>
                Jim Willhite
                West Chester, PA
              • Jim Willhite
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 7 9:14 AM
                  Isn't branch sporting like this a tell tale sign MM is a hybrid?
                  jim willhite

                  On Saturday, February 7, 2009, at 11:58 AM, SJPERK5 wrote:

                  > This was a sport that we spotted on austrinum ‘Millie Mac’ at the NCS
                  > Arboretum. I wanted to thank the gentleman who kindly held it side by
                  > side for comparison.
                  >
                  > Sally Perkins

                  <image.tiff>

                  > <millie mac.jpg>
                  Jim Willhite
                  West Chester, PA
                • Jim Willhite
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 7 9:33 AM
                    I like that white Cahas calendulaceum. I have a yellow flowered
                    seedling from Cahas.

                    Back to the white austrinum, how would I know it to be austrinum rather
                    than a canescens hybrid? what would the visual keys be?

                    If it is austrinum, will the seed grown from this cross (peric. x white
                    austrinum) be an infertile 3n?
                    jim willhite

                    On Saturday, February 7, 2009, at 11:56 AM, sjperk5 wrote:

                    > I have added an image of a white seedling of Cahas White R.
                    > calendulaceum to the our chapter blog article on ploidy of native
                    > deciduous azaleas.
                    >
                    > http://rosebayblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/clad-ploidy-of-deciduous-
                    > azaleas.html
                    >
                    > Notice: The url has wrapped so you need to copy the second half.
                    >
                    > This appearance of on the edge members of the 4ns has always been
                    > viewed as supporting the concept of the interaction of 4ns and 2ns
                    > but the addition of 4ns species to the mix (or the moving from 2n to
                    > 4n) makes this more suspect.
                    >
                    > According to Ron Miller and Clarence Towe the more they hurt the more
                    > on the edge members of the 4ns they find but they are coming the
                    > conclusion these are interaction of 4n populations or merely an
                    > extension of what is normal for a 4n species.
                    >
                    > We will also include an image of Millie Mac throwing a pink sport at
                    > the NC Arboretum. There is some thought that Mille Mac actually make
                    > be a member of a newly discovered 4n species rather than merely an
                    > extesnion of austrinum.
                    >
                    > John Perkins
                    > Salem, NH

                    Jim Willhite
                    West Chester, PA
                  • sjperk5
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 7 9:49 AM
                      white austrinum if fertile in both directions on 4ns is most likely a
                      4n and not a hybrid with canescens. If it is a 4n and a hybrid it is
                      most likely a hybrid between two 4n species.

                      peric. x white austrinum should be an infertile 3n if white austrinum
                      is a 4n.

                      Note: white austrinum could be a 2n if it is actually a flammeum X
                      cansecens.

                      Note: Remember there are populations of pink 4ns.

                      Note: The white cahas calendulaceum appears to a a fully fertile 4n.
                      I base this on may factors but the most important to me being

                      'Marydel' (Polly Hill) x R. calendulaceum 'Cahas Mtn White'

                      took in our yard producing a large seedpod and we have never had
                      Marydel accept pollen from a known 2n in nearly 15 years of trying.

                      John Perkins
                      Salem, NH

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 7 9:54 AM
                        Nice photo!  Several times I have seen off color sports on my native azaleas, which in several cases were due to some injury or constriction of the stem below the odd colored (usually lighter in tone) flower.  I usually tag the sported stem with date and color, just just to see what the stem does in the future. A vivid pink flameum-canescens hybrid sported several light pink trusses. A good red calendulaceum sported an apricot.  One of my pink vaseyi sported a white.

                        Speaking of Millie Mac sports, does anyone have a photo of Calamity Junction, a John Giordiano discovery, that Maarten Van der Geissen propagated at one time?  It is the reverse color pattern of Millie - white with a yellow edge as contrasted to Millie Mac's yellow with white picotee.

                        Mike Creel

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 7 9:57 AM
                          I believe that if you have an deciduous azalea of unknown ploidy and
                          you cross it in both directions with a known 4n and get a large
                          seedpod in both directions then you can be almost certain it is a 4n.

                          If you also cross a known 2n onto your plant of unknown ploidy and it
                          does not set seed I would bet the entire trillion dollar simulus
                          package it is a 4n.

                          Moreover I would be willing to pay taxes on my winnings independent
                          of whether I was appointed for a cabinet position.

                          John Perkins
                          Salem, NH

                          --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "sjperk5" <sjperk5@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > > viewed as supporting the concept of the interaction of 4ns and
                          2ns
                          > > > but the addition of 4ns species to the mix (or the moving from
                          2n
                          > > > 4n) makes this more suspect.
                          > > >
                          > > > According to Ron Miller and Clarence Towe the more they hurt
                          the
                          > more
                          > > > on the edge members of the 4ns they find but they are coming the
                          > > > conclusion these are interaction of 4n populations or merely an
                          > > > extension of what is normal for a 4n species.
                          > > >
                          > > > We will also include an image of Millie Mac throwing a pink
                          sport
                          > at
                          > > > the NC Arboretum. There is some thought that Mille Mac actually
                          > make
                          > > > be a member of a newly discovered 4n species rather than merely

                        • SJPERK5
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 7 10:16 AM

                            I really don’t have the expertise in this area but my understanding is that in general canescens will  have lots of hairs not glands.

                            Austrinum lots of glands not hairs…..on the flower, the new shoots, etc. This image should show glands on the austrinum ‘Alba’

                            Sally

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 7 10:19 AM

                              Actually canescens does have glands on the calyx and some on the flower but not on the stems of the new growth.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 7 12:00 PM
                                Sally,

                                I believe the rules indicate that the name should be Rhododendron austrinum 'Album'.  The ending of the cultivar name is supposed to be consistent with the gender of the genus.  Way back when, it might have been Azalea austrina 'Alba'.  'Alba' does appear in the IRRC, but the note refers you to 'Album' of which there are thirteen.

                                I cannot comment on the var. album, because I don't know if it was ever properly published.

                                Bill

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 7 12:42 PM

                                  I am giving the name as it was written on the label at the arboretum.  Granted if it was R. austrinum var. album I would agree but the label says R. austrinum ‘Alba’ both the capitalized name and the lack of agreement in gender are not “by the book”. I am thinking you are right on how the name got to be Alba but it was being treated like a variety name and who knows that might be the correct way to label it if you are not really sure it’s the real species. I am at least trying to be true as to how the original plant was labeled. I don’t know if you can safely call this plant R. austrinum var. album (formerly labeled R. austrinum ‘Alba’)