Re: [AZ] fertilizing

  • Joe Schild
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1 4:16 AM
      Paul,
      I am resistant to fertilizing azaleas in the fall if the fertilizer has a Nitrogen level above the 6 in a ballance type. Using that type will push extra tender growth and will be subject to freeze burn and flower bud blast. My rule of thumb is no Nitrogen fertilizer after August 15th. In your Zone, I would not use fertilizer after August 1st.

      Joe Schild    Hixson, TN    USDA Zone 7a
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1 6:57 PM
        Just to be a little more technical ( than necessary?? ) I would say that
        fertilizing in late fall, after growth has stopped and the air is quite
        cool would allow the top-dressed fertilizer to soak into the soil and be
        available in the spring. A wild guess would be after Nov. 1 here in
        zone 7a, 10 mi S of DC.
        Barry