Re: [AZ] fertilizing

  • Barry Sperling
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2004
      It seems that you two are talking about 2 different situations. Paul
      sounds like he is discussing established plants and Mike is talking
      about his seedlings and cuttings. If you read my article in the recent
      Azalean, you know I am biased toward using more fertilizer than most
      people use when putting out plants in the landscape in my hand-made
      soil. Unlike Mike's plants and soil, azaleas die quickly in my
      rock-hard clay fill. The complication is that there are so many types
      of soil, we all have to find our own way.
      Barry

      Mike Creel wrote:

      >I started this season using fertilizer of any kind on
      >my seedling and rooted cutting pots. I have tried
      >Espoma Holly-Tone and Pursell's Stay-Green. But based
      >on a very recent bad experience with Holly-Tone
      >sprinkled on very small seedlings, not more that a set
      >or two of leaves and not fully woody yet, I would
      >advise holding off on fertilizer until cuttings or
      >seedlings are older and strongly established. After
      >fertilizing a seedling pot during a rainy period a
      >fungus that resembled a gray spider web formed above
      >the media surface and killed the seedlings. Nearby
      >pots with similar seedlings and no fertilizer were
      >okay. It seems always better to under-fertilize or
      >not fertilize.
      >Mike Creel, Lexington, SC Zone 8a
      >
      >--- "Lightfoot, Paul" <pllightfo@...> wrote:
      >

      >>I used Holly-tone this year for the first time, and
      >>really like the
      >>results. I noticed that the directions call for 2
      >>applications, 1 in
      >>early spring and 1 in late fall. What do you think?
      >> Is the late fall
      >>one necessary? Or good? Maybe it would be better
      >>in warmer winter
      >>areas?
      >>
      >>Paul Lightfoot
      >>Upland, IN zone 5b (more like 6)

      >http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      >

      >When you reply to this email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines. Also PLEASE tell us where you garden (city, state or at least your USDA zone).
      >
      >We welcome images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel .jpg images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal.

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Joe Schild
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
        Paul,
        I am resistant to fertilizing azaleas in the fall if the fertilizer has a Nitrogen level above the 6 in a ballance type. Using that type will push extra tender growth and will be subject to freeze burn and flower bud blast. My rule of thumb is no Nitrogen fertilizer after August 15th. In your Zone, I would not use fertilizer after August 1st.

        Joe Schild    Hixson, TN    USDA Zone 7a
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
          Just to be a little more technical ( than necessary?? ) I would say that
          fertilizing in late fall, after growth has stopped and the air is quite
          cool would allow the top-dressed fertilizer to soak into the soil and be
          available in the spring. A wild guess would be after Nov. 1 here in
          zone 7a, 10 mi S of DC.
          Barry