Re: [AZ] Seeking Glenn Dale named Puck with "heavy yellowish blotch"

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2009
      Mike,

      Bob nailed it.

      Giving the benefit of the doubt that it isn't mislabeled, there is a normal and acceptable variation within the cultivar which one learns to recognize through experience.  White with stripes flowers are notoriously variable --- especially anything with 'Vittatum' in its background.   The seed parent for 'Puck'  is 'Bridal Veil' which was 'Vittatum' X 'Louise'.

      The 'Cinderella' and 'Satrap' story is a good example of that potential variability --- from branch to branch, from plant to plant, and from year to year.  See:
      http://www.theazaleaworks.com/images/azaleas/B32140A.jpg

      Bill

      Bob Stelloh wrote:

      Could be any one of many reasons:
      -normal cultivar variation
      -different branch
      -different plant
      -mislabeled plant

      I think Don Hyatt's picture was taken at an ARS flower show at the
      USNational Arboretum, if my memory of the background is correct.

      Regards,
      Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7

      At 7:37 PM -0800 on 1/5/09, Mike Creel wrote
      How come the Dan Krabill photo is white with red streaks, but the Don
      Hyatt photo is just white?
      Mike Creel, SC