Longwood Graden Azaleas

  • Diane Buchart
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2008
      this is from ASK US, so please send me a cc

      When my husband and I visited Longwood Gardens in the Spring, the guide pointed out some lavender azaleas that Mr. Dupont had developed.  Supposedly, this species is available to the public, but I can't find any information.  Could you please help me?  Thank you!
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2008
        Hi Diane,

        There is a light purple azalea named 'Winterthur' which is named after Dupont's 1000 acre country estate.

        Take a look at the image in the ASA collection:

        http://www.pbase.com/image/36171959
        --
        William C. Miller III
        Bethesda, Maryland

      • jwillhite@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2008

          There is a very very large # of evergreen azaleas planted at Winterthur garden, but as I recall, only two lavenders are planted there in any significant numbers:  "Winterthur," the fragrant mucronatum hybrid developed there; and the unnamed Winterthur Kurume #4, which has much smaller flowers.  Neither of these plants will be found at your local garden store.  However, I got azalea "Winterthur" last spring from Jim Fry, the proprietor of this hobby nursery on Long Island.

          http://jimscreatures.com/page6.html

          good luck

          jim willhite

          west chester, pa

          this is from ASK US, so please send me a cc

          When my husband and I visited Longwood Gardens in the Spring, the guide pointed out some lavender azaleas that Mr. Dupont had developed.  Supposedly, this species is available to the public, but I can't find any information.  Could you please help me?  Thank you!

        • George Klump
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2008
            There are some Kurume azaleas which are lavender, but not many.  They are all small single flowers, as many of the Kurumes are.  One is called "Orchid Star" which, as with many Kurume azaleas, does not get really large but it is compact as opposed to the spreading type.  Another one I've heard about in the Kurume group is called "Moonbeam".  A third one I've heard of is called "Old Ming" which may be a little darker, perhaps closer to a straight purple.  Its color may depend, too, on the kind of soil in which it is planted.  It's probably a bit more vigorous than the "Orchid Star", as it tends to grow more upright.

            George Klump
            Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA