Should I cover my Azaleas for winter

  • Greg Sauer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2008
      (this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC)

      I live in Foley, MN. on the boarder of Zones 3 & 4.  I planted three azaleas this past spring and they have done fantastic this summer.  Now that winter is coming should I cover them with one of those recycled paper covers for winter?

      Thanks

      Greg Sauer

    • Tadeusz Dauksza
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2008
         Hello Greg;

           Since these azaleas were just planted by you this year , their root system has only had about 6 months to "venture" for minerals and water, thus  you being in the "Northwoods"  where the ground is frozen to about 3 ft every year without any snow sometimes, I would obtain some chicken wire and make enclosures , fill them with Oak or Hickory leaves just before the ground freezes and then around end of March -  take those leaves out ..

          By doing that you will give those azaleas another year in the ground, also those BR-RABBITS will not get a chance to  snip off your branches, unless your yard is visited by wolves thus keeping the rabbit population down.

          In the April/May time frame of 2009 do travel 35 miles south to Buffalo,MN and visit Erva Hance's farm where she grows over 1,000 decidous azaleas----   what a show.

          Tadeusz- Illinois,