sick azalea

  • Jim Gerdeman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
      This is from the ASK US page so please send me a CC.
      My azalea is in Rockdale, Texas which is about 50 miles Northeast of Austin, 60 Northwest of Bryan-College Station, 40 miles Southeast of Temple. My sick azalea is one of five against the East side of my home. The other 4 appear quite healthy. The sick azalea has loads of dark brown spots on the leaves. The stems are covered with tiny white wiskers. The leaves do not have insect eaten holes in the leaves. I sprayed it today (October 1, 2008) with a fungus spray in hopes my diagnoses of fungus infection is correct.
    • Steve & Darlene Henning
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2008
        Hi Jim,

        Thanks for contacting the Azalea Group. Here are some possibilities:

        Buds and twigs becoming covered with silver-gray scales is caused by
        one of the water molds: Altenaria Blight or Botrytis Blight or Twig
        Blight and is easy to control with fungicide sprays and proper
        sanitation by removing and disposing of all dead material.

        If a leaf has brown areas with white spots, it probably has a local
        fungal infection of Pestalotia rhododendri. This is seldom controlled
        with fungicides and is best mitigated by good sanitation and avoiding
        excessive moisture.

        Brownish burned areas occurring on leaves that are more exposed to
        sun, is caused by more sun exposure than the plant is able to
        tolerate. Some varieties need shade, while all plants that have been
        protected from direct sun will be tender until hardened off by gradual
        exposure to sun light. Possible solutions are to give the plant more
        shade or move it to a more protected site.