Re: [AZ] Rooting azalea leaves

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30 3:09 PM
      Sure evergreen azalea leaves can be rooted, even deciduous azalea leaves.  I did it once by accident in a closed clear box of moist long fiber sphagnum moss under lights indoors using R. flammeum.  The leaves were from seedlings growing inside the box and were fully expanded but not hardened off to room or outdoor conditions.  I have copies of research done in Belgium and Netherlands where experiments were done to see which parts of evergreen azaleas rooted in highest percentage.  I don't know of any work done in the US on this topic.

      In my accidental experiment shoots came up from the petiole area which had been cut by about half the petiole's length from the main stem of seedlings.  When the deciduous azalea leaves were laying on the sphagnum moss and I tried to pull them up there were roots forming along the veins.  In the research done in Belgium and Netherlands, I am pretty sure that roots and stems were formed from leaf sections that had no petiole involved.

      My rooting of deciduous azalea leaves was really an accident.  My azalea seedlings in a closed box were getting leggy, so I cut them back by half of their height.  On a whim I stuck the cut off tops (after snipping off a few lower leaves) and stuck them back into the moss. ALL of the cut off tops rooted well and easily.  I  had let the trimmed off leaves just fall onto the moss, thinking they would shrivel up, turn brown and decompose.  The leaves all stayed green laying on the moss.  When I tried to lift them off the moss, I found they were stuck like postage stamps to an envelope.  Shortly, I moved the leaves upward, angling them so the petiole end stuck more deeply into the moss.

      Mike Creel, SC