Fwd: [rhodo] Sad news

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2003
      I had been privileged to be in close email contact with Ian up until
      the end. He was suffering tremendously, and it is a blessing for him
      that he finally let go of life. I will miss him, even though I never
      met him, knowing him only through our emails back and forth.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 28, 2003
        Ian has meant a great deal to me also in South
        Carolina during the past two years through his
        messages, photos, mail, packages and one phone call
        this year. I have kept a copy of all our
        correspondence. This summer he even arranged for me
        to mail a collection of unique native azalea cuttings
        to the Rosebay Chapter (to propagator Fred Knippel in
        Acton, Mass) for future P4M use. He will will live on
        through us who knew him. I just wish I had finished
        on time the article on my weird propagation methods
        that he wanted to put the Rosebay newsletter.
        Mike Creel
        Lexington
        South Carolina
        --- Bob Stelloh <bstelloh@...> wrote:
        > I had been privileged to be in close email contact
        > with Ian up until
        > the end. He was suffering tremendously, and it is a
        > blessing for him
        > that he finally let go of life. I will miss him,
        > even though I never
        > met him, knowing him only through our emails back
        > and forth.
        >
        > >Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:27:01 +0000
        > >From: rhspecific <sbc@...>
        > >Subject: [rhodo] Sad news
        > >
        > >Ian Donovan of Pembroke, MA died today, December
        > 28. This group has
        > >lost another
        > >true rhodoholic, full of passion and enthusiasm for
        > rhododendrons
        > >and azaleas, even
        > >when he could no longer work in his garden or at
        > his computer.
        > >
        > >Ian had battled fiercely against the cancer that
        > eventually overcame
        > >him early this
        > >morning. He died at home surrounded by his family.
        > >
        > >Ian was one of the most active and hard-working
        > members of the MA
        > >Chapter of the
        > >ARS, past chapter president, past editor of our
        > Newsletter and
        > >current editor of the
        > >Rosebay. His passing leaves a big hole. His voice
        > will be missed
        > >in this forum, too.
        > >
        > >Susan Clark

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • austrinum
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2003
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 30, 2003
            Ian will be missed by many, myself included, for we had similar interests
            and he was a great friend to me and my wife. I will always remember the
            grand time he gave us when I had the opportunity to speak to the Mass
            Chapter several years ago. He and many others from that chapter made sure we
            felt welcome and showed us around the Boston gardens.

            Ian's knowledge and understanding of the genus Rhododendron always amazed me
            and he had a way of presenting his ideas that made sense.

            LaShon and I offer our heart felt condolences to the family and friends.

            Joe & LaShon Schild Hixson, TN