ASK US

  • Momagn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12, 2008
      This is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC.
      Why do my azaleas have flies on them and what can I do to get rid of them?

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 14, 2008
        Hi Momagn,

        We need additional information.  What kind of flies are they?   What you do depends on what they are.  It could be as simple as use a modern pesticide --- or hit them with water from your garden hose.
        --
        William C. Miller III
        Bethesda, Maryland

        Momagn@... wrote:

        This is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC.
        Why do my azaleas have flies on them and what can I do to get rid of them?

        Get the scoop on last night's hottest shows and the live music scene in your area - Check out TourTracker. com!

      • Carole Colsell
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 12, 2014
          This is from the ASK us page! please send me a cc.

          I looked for advice on Azalea disease on your page and saw that 2 of your recommended treatments are banned for domestic use and harmful to bees: Orthene and Diazinon.
          What are your thoughts? Any suggestions for alternative treatments (for Lacebug) ?

          Thanks,
          Carole Colsell

          Sent from my iPad
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 12, 2014
            Hi Carole,

            I haven't looked at the ASA Web page lately, but you might want to look again.   One doesn't recommend insecticides to treat diseases. Oh, I see you are specifically concerned about lacebug.  I would use Orthene or imidacloprid or a product containing imidacloprid.  There are lots of consumer products on the shelf to choose from.  You have to read the labels before you buy anyway to ensure that your use of the insecticide is appropriate.  I believe you will find lacebug listed on the aforementioned products.  See the respective Web page
            s for UC-Davis, Univ. of Connecticut, and the Univ. of Georgia:

            http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7428.html

            http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/homegrnd/htms/44lcbug.htm

            http://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.cfm?number=B1074

            If you are concerned about honey bees, you should apply the systemic insecticides well after the ornamentals have finished blooming.  After the flowers are gone, there is no reason for the honey bees to hang around.  I am not aware that there is any residual effect into the following season.

            William C. Miller III
            Bethesda, Maryland
            www.theazaleaworks.com