Re: [AZ] T and Ds: My Position

  • sjperk5
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 2, 2008
      Mike

      When I did the 14 crosses onto Cherokee I stripped an entire truss
      for each cross. I started this practice last year to make labeling of
      crosses easier.

      John Perkins
      Salem, NH

      --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "sjperk5" <sjperk5@...> wrote:

      > Mike
      >
      > In the past 4 years only cumberlandense has produced a normal seed
      > pod when crossed with a species of a different ploidy. It has done
      > this at least 3 times with 3 different tetra species. I also wonder
      > if cumberlandense is not selfing inside the pod. I am going to
      > attempt to cross this cumberlandense onto itself next year and also
      > strip a truss and leave it unpollinated.
      >
      > I know that Camp's Red has been much more willing to reject pollen
      > but I do not have complete enough records to know from what.
      >
      > John Perkins
      > Salem, NH
      >

      > --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Mike Creel <mikeacreel@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Bruce, I would suggest that your diploid cumberlandense X
      > tetraploid luteum is pure cumberlandense, no luteum involved,  Your
      > atlanticum X calendulaceum, both tetraploid, looks similar to some
      of
      > the same crosses I have had bloom, all showing color shifts as the
      > blooms age.
      > > Mike Creel

    • parker little
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 16, 2008

        oops, the nursery was Transplant not Woodlanders,

        it is an alabamense.

        Parker L.

        From: parker little <parklnursery@ yahoo.com>
        To: azaleas@yahoogroups .com
        Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008, 1:52 PM

        I have a good deep yellow R. alabamense from Woodlanders Nursery that flowered several years ago, and collected the seed. the seedlings are about 1 foot tall now. their leaves are about the same as the parent & should flower with about the same color. getting ready to transplant them to larger containers. if any have a deeper yellow color, I will propagate & name them.

        Parker L. Little,

        Piping Tree Gardens, Beaverdam, VA