Re: [AZ] T and Ds: My Position

  • sjperk5
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 2 3:56 PM
      Mike

      In the past 4 years only cumberlandense has produced a normal seed
      pod when crossed with a species of a different ploidy. It has done
      this at least 3 times with 3 different tetra species. I also wonder
      if cumberlandense is not selfing inside the pod. I am going to
      attempt to cross this cumberlandense onto itself next year and also
      strip a truss and leave it unpollinated.

      I know that Camp's Red has been much more willing to reject pollen
      but I do not have complete enough records to know from what.

      John Perkins
      Salem, NH

      --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Mike Creel <mikeacreel@...> wrote:

      > Bruce, I would suggest that your diploid cumberlandense X
      tetraploid luteum is pure cumberlandense, no luteum involved,  Your
      atlanticum X calendulaceum, both tetraploid, looks similar to some of
      the same crosses I have had bloom, all showing color shifts as the
      blooms age.
      > Mike Creel

      cross to your atlanticum X calendulaceum. The picture is a few years
      old; plant is much larger now I checked and it will flower by this
      weekend. I quess the red base is an atlanticum trait.

      > I have about 4-5 cumberlandense x luteum up here. They bloom at the
      same time as the Leach plant July Jester. With your T and D knowledge
      would the cumberlandense x luteum be a reasonable thing to put
      arborescens pollen on?

      > Bruce Clyburn
      >

      > Visit Your Group
      >

      > New web site?
      > Drive traffic now.
      > Get your business
      > on Yahoo! search.
      >
      > Moderator Central
      > Yahoo! Groups
      > Join and receive
      > produce updates.
      >
      > Family Photos
      > Learn how to best
      > capture your
      > family moments.
      > .

    • parker little
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 16 4:15 PM

        oops, the nursery was Transplant not Woodlanders,

        it is an alabamense.

        Parker L.

        From: parker little <parklnursery@ yahoo.com>
        To: azaleas@yahoogroups .com
        Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008, 1:52 PM

        I have a good deep yellow R. alabamense from Woodlanders Nursery that flowered several years ago, and collected the seed. the seedlings are about 1 foot tall now. their leaves are about the same as the parent & should flower with about the same color. getting ready to transplant them to larger containers. if any have a deeper yellow color, I will propagate & name them.

        Parker L. Little,

        Piping Tree Gardens, Beaverdam, VA