Colemanii Pollen

  • sjperk5
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
      Does anyone on this forum have access to R. colemanii pollen they would
      be willing to send to Salem, NH?

      I lack a local source of pollen for the following natives

      colemanii
      alabamense
      eastmanii

      I would love to get multiple sources of pollen for "straight" native
      species.

      John Perkins
      Salem, NH
    • Lightfoot, Paul
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008

        John---

        I have eastmanii blooming right now.  How do I send the pollen?

        Paul Lightfoot

        E. central Indiana

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
          Paul

          I collect it in a drug capsule and then place the capsule in a drug
          bottle than has dried milk in it. Keep the pollen in the frig until
          shipment. I know Sally merely places the pollen on paper if she is
          collecting in the field and she has no capsules.

          I did not realize that eastmanii was so late.

          Does anyone else have other suggestions on the best way to mail
          pollen?

          John Perkins
          Salem, NH

          --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "Lightfoot, Paul" <pllightfo@...>
          wrote:

          > John---
          >

          > I have eastmanii blooming right now. How do I send the pollen?
          >

          > Paul Lightfoot
          >
          > E. central Indiana
          >

          > ________________________________

          Behalf
          > Of sjperk5
          > Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 12:36 PM
          > To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [AZ] Colemanii Pollen
          >

          > Does anyone on this forum have access to R. colemanii pollen they
          would
          > be willing to send to Salem, NH?
          >
          > I lack a local source of pollen for the following natives
          >
          > colemanii
          > alabamense
          > eastmanii
          >
          > I would love to get multiple sources of pollen for "straight"
          native
          > species.
          >
          > John Perkins
          > Salem, NH

        • Bruce Clyburn
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
            John:

            Collection: I have a few suggestions but will put forward at a later time; I wouldn't want this thread to become intimidating to Paul, which it might. What you suggest works (period). I would only say if the dried milk box has been opened for a while you might put a half cup or so, you plan to use in a low temp oven for 1-2 hours. Say 200 F. just to regenerate to max. desiccating potential. Let it cool then put in shipping container c/w gel caps.

            Shipping Container: Plastic drug (med) containers are fine but empty 35 mm film canisters are good as well. The plastic is soft and flexs; it's less likely to break.

            Mailing: Most folks use 'bubble packs'; this is to resist the impact from those mechanized mail sorters. All of my pollen ... and it's a good bit from RSF each year comes in these. All ARS seed comes in them as well.

            I salute you for moving on with crosses of some rare, newly established North American species and/or others not presetly hardy in zones 5-6!

            Bruce C.

            I collect it in a drug capsule and then place the capsule in a drug
            bottle than has dried milk in it. Keep the pollen in the frig until
            shipment. I know Sally merely places the pollen on paper if she is
            collecting in the field and she has no capsules.

            I did not realize that eastmanii was so late.

            Does anyone else have other suggestions on the best way to mail
            pollen?

            John Perkins
            Salem, NH

            Messages in this topic (3) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

            MARKETPLACE

            Blockbuster is giving away a FREE trial of - Blockbuster Total Access.
            .

          • diane kehoe
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008

              John,

              I cut a black shoe lace into pieces that will fit into a capsule. The cheapest thin shoe lace is the one that works best. Rub one end of each piece of shoe lace until it unravels slightly to make a fuzzy brush. Pick up the piece of shoe lace with locking forceps or a pair of tweezers and use the fuzzy end to collect the desired pollen. The pollen shows up against the black shoe lace and sticks well to the ‘fuzzy bits’. When you have collected as much pollen as you want, place the piece of shoe lace in a capsule – fuzzy end first. Put the capsule in a small paper envelope and write on the envelope with a pencil to identify the pollen and the date it was collected.

              When I’m out in the garden, I often put a couple of capsules with unused shoe lace bits in my pocket along with a small pair of locking forceps, small change envelopes, and a pencil. Then I’m ready to collect pollen whenever it is ‘ready’.

              Because you are storing only the pollen, there doesn’t seem to be a problem with drying the pollen before storage. When I want to freeze the pollen I just put the paper envelope in a Zip-lock bag and put it in the freezer.

              When I want to use the pollen, I take it out of the freezer, put the envelope in my pocket and by the time I get out to the garden the pollen has defrosted and is ready to use. I open the capsule and use the locking forceps to pick up the shoe lace by the end that is pollen-free and brush the pollen onto the pistil of a ‘prepared’ flower – one with the petals and stamens removed. If there is still pollen remaining, I put the shoe lace back into the capsule, and put the capsule back into its envelope. I write the date of the cross on the envelope, just in case I don’t remember to note the information anywhere else. All I have to do to get a list of the crosses I’ve made with a particular pollen is to look at the envelope.

              I’m sorry that I don’t remember which of the veteran hybridizers in the Vancouver Rhododendron Society showed me this technique originally – but the system has worked beautifully for me for 20 years. It avoids all of the problems that arise when people try to dry and store stamens or to mail pollen to someone.

              Hope this helps,

              Diane Kehoe, Riverbank, Ladner      Zone 8