This is from "ask us" page...

  • Rich Simmons
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hello - I have 3 azaleas whose leaves are turning brown & dropping off.  They are in a well -drained bed, but I have been hand watering this bed daily due to some newer plants within the same bed.  Do you think I am over-watering the azaleas?  Also -- they do not get very heavy blooms in the spring-- just a few flowers.  I have fertiziled them with a specific azalea fertilizer according to package directions.  I also place peat moss around the plant every spring.  The bed is mulched with a hardwood mulch.  The azalea plants have been in the bed about 3 years -- and never have truly been showy.  Ideas from you would be appreciated.
      Thank You -
      p.s. - Our soil is  heavy "clay".
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2008
        Hi Rich,

        Watering daily sounds like too much water to me.  Water thoroughly but not frequently.  I'd also stop with the peat moss dressing.  Peat moss makes a pretty good amendment when mixed with the clay, but it's a lousy top dressing or mulch.

        Azaleas require a certain amount of exposure to develop flowers, so make sure the locale isn't too shady.  Fertilizer is not a requirement and many people don't apply fertilizer.  By the way, under some circumstances too much fertilizer can inhibit flower development.

        Any pruning that you do should be done shortly after they bloom.  Flowers for the following season begin to develop in the summer, so if you come along in the fall and prune --- you have trimmed away next spring's flowers.
        --
        William C. Miller III
        Bethesda, Maryland