Re: [AZ] Knap Hill history

  • Bruce Clyburn
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi Jim:

      As per collections Don Craig who was the Director of Agriculture Canada Research Program for ornamental plants at Kentville, NS 25 years ago has a large number. He also did a lot of hybridizing with these azaleas. Besides Knaphill and Exbury azaleas he grew a number of Solent azaleas like Princess Margaret of Windsor. Solent is a river in England that winds past the de Rothschild estate, the hybridizer of this group.

      The nurseries that ship dec. azaleas of any kind in Canada are very limited. In the 1980's-1990's I used to order from Clay's Nursery in British Columbia. They did tissue culture and I used to pay something like $0.60 a plant. You had to order a minimum of 5 plants at a time.

      Here's hoping your post identifies some nurseries I'm not currently aware of.

      Bruce Clyburn,
      New Waterford, NS

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2008

        I have grown White Throat for years.  It does not have bronze foliage.  I doubt Cecile descended from Whitethroat.

        Harold Greer

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
          Thanks for the image, Harold
          jim willhite