Re: [AZ] Knap Hill history--Whitethroat

  • Jim Willhite
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2008
      More about the KH article by G. Donald Waterer. I was interested to see
      that he may have provided an answer to a Q I posed a few days ago to this
      group; ie, what is the source of the lovely bronze foliage we see on
      Cannon's Double, which is Corneille x Cecile? Waterer describes the Knap
      Hill plant "Whitethroat" which dates from the 1920s and was used after WWII
      as seed parent to produce a group of fragrant, double flowered plants
      distinguished by "copper tinted foliage which was at its best in full light"
      and which turns bright red in autumn, as does that of Cannon's Double. I
      wonder if Cecile, the Exbury, is descended from Whitethroat? Anybody
      growing Whitethroat?

      > Thanks to Bruce Clyburn, who made the Knap Hill history article available,
      > and to Tom Scheutz, who shared a paper copy with me yesterday at our Valley
      > Forge Chapter annual picnic.
      >
      > I read the article on the train on the way to work this morning. This was a
      > great article, lots of history, and a comprehensive list of Knap Hills at
      > the end. I knew the history of the group went way back, but I don't think I
      > appreciated just how far back it goes (1820s). The long history of the
      > strain adds one more compelling reason to grow more Knap Hills.
      >
      > Is there any comprehensive collection of KH's in the US or Canada? And,
      > sorry to be commercial, but are there any nurseries on this side of the pond
      > distributing a good number of them?
      >

      > Jim Willhite
      > West Chester, PA

    • Bruce Clyburn
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2008
        Hi Jim:

        As per collections Don Craig who was the Director of Agriculture Canada Research Program for ornamental plants at Kentville, NS 25 years ago has a large number. He also did a lot of hybridizing with these azaleas. Besides Knaphill and Exbury azaleas he grew a number of Solent azaleas like Princess Margaret of Windsor. Solent is a river in England that winds past the de Rothschild estate, the hybridizer of this group.

        The nurseries that ship dec. azaleas of any kind in Canada are very limited. In the 1980's-1990's I used to order from Clay's Nursery in British Columbia. They did tissue culture and I used to pay something like $0.60 a plant. You had to order a minimum of 5 plants at a time.

        Here's hoping your post identifies some nurseries I'm not currently aware of.

        Bruce Clyburn,
        New Waterford, NS

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2008

          I have grown White Throat for years.  It does not have bronze foliage.  I doubt Cecile descended from Whitethroat.

          Harold Greer

          More about the KH article by G. Donald Waterer. I was interested to see
          that he may have provided an answer to a Q I posed a few days ago to this
          group; ie, what is the source of the lovely bronze foliage we see on
          Cannon's Double, which is Corneille x Cecile? Waterer describes the Knap
          Hill plant "Whitethroat" which dates from the 1920s and was used after WWII
          as seed parent to produce a group of fragrant, double flowered plants
          distinguished by "copper tinted foliage which was at its best in full light"
          and which turns bright red in autumn, as does that of Cannon's Double. I
          wonder if Cecile, the Exbury, is descended from Whitethroat? Anybody
          growing Whitethroat?

          > Thanks to Bruce Clyburn, who made the Knap Hill history article available,
          > and to Tom Scheutz, who shared a paper copy with me yesterday at our
          Valley
          > Forge Chapter annual picnic.
          >
          > I read the article on the train on the way to work this morning. This was
          > great article, lots of history, and a comprehensive list of Knap Hills at
          > the end. I knew the history of the group went way back, but I don't think
          > appreciated just how far back it goes (1820s). The long history of the
          > strain adds one more compelling reason to grow more Knap Hills.
          >
          > Is there any comprehensive collection of KH's in the
          w:st="on">US or Canada ? And,
          > sorry to be commercial, but are there any nurseries on this side of the
          pond
          > distributing a good number of them?
          >

          > Jim Willhite
          > West Chester ,