Re: [AZ] Suggested Good R. Viscosum Crosses

  • sjperk5@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 33 , Jun 3, 2008
      If you want to cross onto viscosum I would continue with the breeding of Weston Nurseries Ed Mezitt's program and his plants and go from there. One of the big problems with many Exbury's is how poor the foliage performs late in the season. some of the Ghents do a little better. In Nova Scotia like New Hampshire if it doesn't have good fall color or at least healthy foliage in the fall it really is a big minus. Lots of members will not even allow Exburys in their garden for that reason. Even in full sun, as soon as it gets a little muggy they are pathetic. A little further north its not as big a problem. Good luck with luteum. I have some good seed set on it.

      I have Antilope and Gladwynense in bloom now, but I know that Gladwynense will defoliate before October. (At least I don't have to look at the problem foliage.)

      My suggestion...use arborescens and its hybrids for foliage and fragrance, cumberlandense for color (orange and yellow) prunifolium will also give you nice foliage, color and lateness no fragrance but not as hardy. Prunifolium will not give fall coloration for you either. There are some late season prunifolium hybrids that seem to be more hardy such as Weston's Firecracker. July series Leach are also good. July Jester is the only one we have used with good seed set.

      Joe Parks has a number of nice hybrids from his crosses of viscosum glaucum (probably arborescens) and cumberlandense that bloom in July.

      Sally Perkins,
      Salem, NH
    • Eddie Kirkland
      Message 33 of 33 , Jun 5, 2008
        Joe, thanks for the directions to Wine Springs Bald.
        I will be going to Wayah later this month; could you
        perhaps email the map to me also?

        Thanks,
        Eddie Kirkland
        Auburn, AL