Cahas Mountain White

  • sjperk5
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2008
      At the 2002 ASA convention I got one of each of the calenducaleum
      seedling including Cahas Mountain White.

      Now I keep the calenducaleum seedlings separate form the rest of the
      seedlings I purchased and now have a nice whitish one with pink
      overtones blooming. (I have a small issue that it is labeled orange
      seedling from Cahas but the labels could have easily gotten confused
      in the 6 years I have had them since for most of that time I used
      only the labels that came with them and they were planted very close
      together.) The blotch on the one we have is more yellow than the one
      pictured here

      http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/image/47350405

      but if my label was not wrong I would believe in an instance it is a
      seedling from the plant pictured. No matter what it is it is very
      nice differing greatly from the pictured "parent" in that the tube of
      the seedling is green rather than pink.

      I guess I will have to wait a few more years to see how the one I
      have labeled calenducaleum white seedling looks in bloom.

      The one I have labeled yellow is yellow.

      The rest have not bloomed yet. We grow them slow here.

      John Perkins
      Salem, NH
    • Vivian Abney
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2008
        John,

        I grew the Cahas Mountain seedlings for the 2002 convention.  The labeling indicated the color of the seed parent, not necessarily the color of the seedlings.  I had a few plants left over which I have kept  to blooming, and there have been a number of plants that were white or near-white with pink blushes and yellow blotches.  There was also a block of pastels of varying shades.  The seedlings from  yellow parents had some good yellows in them, a few of which I am propagating.

        Vivian Abney