Re: [AZ] Schild Garden 2008 - Any scented reds? [Any named?]

  • Joe Schild
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2008
      Mike,
      Several of my orange-red Schild hybrids has some fragrance though the darkest reds do not. In my garden, 'CopperCloud' and 'Brazil' are fragrant and both are excellent burnt orange or red, though 'Brazil' is less scented. I have used both in a number of crosses to pass on fragrance in those colors.

      We lucked out with the frost here, which is unusual,since we normally get burned in the frost pocket we live in. Nearly all of my early flowering species are past their prime bloom and I am watching the nice Cumberland Mountain R. prinophyllum buds expand and show some color. A number of my Schild Hybrid yellows are in full bloom and the fragrance is thick through out the garden.

      None of those deciduous hybrids shown in the pics are named thouigh the red evergreen is 'Othello' with a very nice R. periclymenoides behind it showing pink in the distance. I dared not give you many close ups of my garden because I am shamed by the weedy condition of it. I traded in my les than self propelled lawn mower for a rear motor rider and I must say it was about time. The legs and lungs can not take the pushing any longer.

      Best regards to all.

      Joe Schild
      Hixson, TN Zone 7a
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2008
        This sentence of yours really intersted me. "A number
        of my Schild Hybrid yellows are in full bloom and the
        fragrance is thick through out the garden."
        What is the breeding of your fragrant yellows?

        I have one fragant yellow at the moment which I call
        Wingard's Gold, since Judd and Margie gave it to me as
        one of those deciduous azaleas that no one would buy.
        (Only evergreen azaleas really count in commerce you
        know.) The plant is gorgeous, tall and seems to be a
        cross of calendulaceum with austrinum, based on timing
        and characters.

        My other fragrant yellows, earlier blooming are
        austrinum or one of the several Dodd and Aromi
        austrinum/Exbury hybrids. Yellow Choice Cream, an
        austrinumXatlanticum cross, is just finishing. My
        other yellow calendulaceums, not in bloom yet, are
        totally unscented.

        Sweet and yellow always seems to come from austrinum
        or more rarely luteum. I have some atlanticum X
        luteum seedlings I am hoping to mature. Also I have a
        bed with rooted cuttings of several yellow flammeum
        forms, another with two yellow prunifoliums and one
        with some yellow cumberlandense.

        I rooted six July pots from three different atlanticum
        plants in an Aiken garden, one of which is a
        wild-collected yellow form, but my gardening friend
        didn't know which one. So I just stuck two pots of
        woody cuttings from each of the three plants -
        labelled Left, Center and Right. I am a yellow nut.
        One of my beds, the Yellow bed, has two yellow
        Choptanks, Rushins Austrinum, Yellow Delight
        atlanticum, a yellow strap-petaled calendulaceum and 2
        yellow arborescens.

        Mike Creel, Lexington, SC

        --- Joe Schild <azaleajoe@...> wrote:

        > Mike,
        > Several of my orange-red Schild hybrids has some
        > fragrance though the darkest reds do not. In my
        > garden, 'CopperCloud' and 'Brazil' are fragrant and
        > both are excellent burnt orange or red, though
        > 'Brazil' is less scented. I have used both in a
        > number of crosses to pass on fragrance in those
        > colors.
        >
        > We lucked out with the frost here, which is
        > unusual,since we normally get burned in the frost
        > pocket we live in. Nearly all of my early flowering
        > species are past their prime bloom and I am watching
        > the nice Cumberland Mountain R. prinophyllum buds
        > expand and show some color. A number of my Schild
        > Hybrid yellows are in full bloom and the fragrance
        > is thick through out the garden.
        >
        > None of those deciduous hybrids shown in the pics
        > are named thouigh the red evergreen is 'Othello'
        > with a very nice R. periclymenoides behind it
        > showing pink in the distance. I dared not give you
        > many close ups of my garden because I am shamed by
        > the weedy condition of it. I traded in my les than
        > self propelled lawn mower for a rear motor rider and
        > I must say it was about time. The legs and lungs can
        > not take the pushing any longer.
        >
        > Best regards to all.
        >
        > Joe Schild
        > Hixson, TN Zone 7a
      • Joe Schild
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2008
          My yellow Schild hybrids are crosses between R. austrinum and 'Primrose' and the reverse. Since both are very fragrant the seedlings are all scented sweetly. I also did some crosses between R. austrinum and R. calendulaceum both ways, but all those with the Flame Azalea as seed parent produced larger flowers but un-scented.

          "Gibralter' crossed with R. austrinum produces some very interesting large flowered and often fragrant salmon orange to yellow-orange seedlings. All of the crosses I made between 'Primrose' and 'Gibralter' were lost and sadly so for many were large flowered and very fragrant with good shrub habit. A friend may have one of those seelings and if I remember correctly, it is labeled Pump House, because it was one time planted near my well house. I just need to recall who had it.

          Deloris asked about where to find 'Copper Cloud' and Brazil', but I do not have a clue at this date. Mine are at least 28 years old and I have not seen them listed lately.

          Regards,