R. colemanii articles

  • jwillhite@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30 11:23 AM
      My ARS Journal arrived last night, and I read with interest the two articles on R. colemanii. Congratulations to Steve Yeatts and Ron Miller and the others on the discovery and the articles.

      The discussion placing the new species with a group of tetraploid azaleas was very interesting, although much of that particular discussion sailed over my head.  What should this information mean for the gardener trying incorporate the new species into a garden ?  Does it tell you whether the plant can self pollinate? does it tell you  which azaleas r. colemanii will cross with, and which it will not cross with?

      I'd also love to hear from Steve or Ron or anyone else with experience how the species performs in the garden, and whether there are superior (for the garden) forms?

      thanks, looking forward to seeing many of you at the convention.

      jim willhite
      west chester, pa
    • Yeatts, Steve
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30 11:33 AM

        Jim,

        I know that R.colemanii crosses with austrinum as there are natural hybrids containing these two species. According to the botanist guru’s it should not cross with any of the diploids such as alabamense or canescens. The plants are generally very stoloniferous and perform well in my garden here in Athens, GA. I have found superior forms in the wild but they are not available in the nursery trade at this time. I hope they will be some day. I believe the plants do self pollinate because I have isolated plants that form seed, but that is just an educated guess.

        I’m glad you enjoyed the articles.

        Steve Yeatts

        Athens, GA

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30 4:35 PM
          I am still reading the two articles with great
          interest. I do wish someone had asked me or Dr.
          Charles Horn at Newberry College to provide buds of
          eastmanii for testing. I do not know the provenance
          of eastmanii grown at the RSF. In the early days some
          Dubious eastmanii was distributed.

          As for as fertility and crossability of the new
          species R. colemanii, I would think that individual
          plants are probably self-infertile, as most pure
          native azalea species seem to be; that related plants
          such as siblings are fully fertile in intra-species
          crosses; that any of the tetraploid native azalea
          species (austrinum, calendulaceum, atlanticum and some
          tet occidentale) will hybridize with it; and that
          known tetraploid species or groups like R. luteum, the
          Exbury azaleas, the Dodd austrinum X Exbury group and
          thw Aromi austrinum Exbury group. Colemanii might
          also hybridize with tet evergreen azalea varieties.

          Mike Creel, Lexington, SC

          --- jwillhite@... wrote:

          > My ARS Journal arrived last night, and I read with
          > interest the two articles on R. colemanii.
          > Congratulations to Steve Yeatts and Ron Miller and
          > the others on the discovery and the articles.
          >
          > The discussion placing the new species with a group
          > of tetraploid azaleas was very interesting, although
          > much of that particular discussion sailed over my
          > head. What should this information mean for the
          > gardener trying incorporate the new species into a
          > garden ? Does it tell you whether the plant can
          > self pollinate? does it tell you which azaleas r.
          > colemanii will cross with, and which it will not
          > cross with?
          >
          > I'd also love to hear from Steve or Ron or anyone
          > else with experience how the species performs in the
          > garden, and whether there are superior (for the
          > garden) forms?
          >
          > thanks, looking forward to seeing many of you at the
          > convention.
          >
          > jim willhite
          > west chester, pa
        • Buddy Lee
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30 7:24 PM

            I have crosssed R. colemanii 'Fountain' X 'Rosey Cheeks' (Beasley) with great results.  Very fragrant and vigorous growing.  I'm bringing  three of these hybrids to the convention in Ashville.  I can grow the now-called new species, R. colemanii without very much difficulty in Southeast Louisiana. I have never been successful growing R. eastmanii.  Plants from a selfed colemanii, white with large gold blotch, have produced extremely nice plants that vary from white to deep pink.  All these seedlings have the gold blotch.

            However the most striking trait I find with colemanii is the intense fragrance.

            On another topic, has anyone read the article out of Japan concerning evergreen X deciduous azalea hybrids that have produced evergreen type plants with arborescens type fragrance.  Very interesting.

            Looking forward to a great convention this year in Ashville.

            Buddy

            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2008
              From the photos I have seen of outstanding colemanii
              varieties, I hope that someone takes on the mission of
              propagating the best ones and making the available to
              the few gardeners who prefer natives. There seems to
              be a lot of exceptional colemanii forms without ever
              having to create new forms outside the species.

              I am sorry to hear that Buddy Lee has not been able to
              grow R. eastmanii in southeast Lousiana. Suprisingly
              to me, eastmanii has done well in the hot, humid,
              often dry sandhills of my woods in Lexington County,
              SC, pretty much everywhere I plant it. I usually put
              seashells and pieces of fresh concrete or mortar in
              the mulch area around plants.

              Eastmanii is particularly curious in one respect: it
              is a piedmont species that also ranges well down into
              the coastal plain of South Carolina, often in areas
              with marl limestone. Not that far from our coast is
              the population of eastmanii at Santee State Park near
              Lake Marion.

              Buddy, do you have any idea why your eastmanii plants
              died? Did you start with plants or seeds and where
              did they come from? Seeds from coastal plain sites
              might work better. Did you use normal greenhouse
              methods for growing the seeds? My outdoor seed pots
              with a sprinkle of local azalea humus seem to produce
              a high percentage of seedlings for me.

              My two oldest plants of what is now considered
              colemanii are two 1999 Monroe County seedlings from
              John Thornton, which only now are looking strong
              enough to flower. They are in a drought affected
              site, now receiving better rains.

              Buddy, I cannot comment on colemanii fragrance YET,
              but it will have to be something to equal or exceed
              eastmanii. I have been in the woods with botanists
              and fragrance was how we found eastmanii. In my woods
              with just 4 or so mature plants, the scent is
              inescapable within the 7 acres. Have you visited an
              eastmanii native stand in peak of flower? It is no
              place for those with smell allergies.

              I have all the native azalea species in the ground,
              but have yet to experience the bloom of prinophyllum,
              occidentale or colemanii. Canadense seems to have no
              fragrance, which is odd. Vaseyii has no fragrance I
              an detect. Nor calendulaceum or cumberlandense.

              I wish someone could provide the exact reference for
              the article out of Japan concerning evergreen X
              deciduous azalea hybrids that have produced evergreen
              type plants with arborescens type fragrance. I have a
              few friends in horticulture research over they than
              can probably find it.

              Mike Creel, Lexington, SC