9517Double Deciduous Azaleas

  • Bruce Clyburn
    Mar 1, 2008
      I was browsing a bit this morning and located the attached snap from an album posted by a lady. It was the only plant photo of many from a holiday tour, I'm sure she didn't recognize the uniqueness of the plant she captured. A double deciduous azalea. Has anybody pursued this line of hybridizing? I know the late Al Smith of the Horticultural Research Institute of Ontario of  Guelph University, Vineland Ontario carried out a line of these crosses.He used R. Chelsea Reach (a double Knaphill) as the seed parent. Some other folks have used R. Homebush (Knaphill double also) ... photo is attached is my Homebush.
      Can anyone put a name on the azalea in this photo?
      Has anyone done similar crosses?
      Anybody suggest good seed parents that throw doubles, like R. Chelsea Reach and R. Homebush?
      Bruce Clyburn
      New Waterford, NS
      Canada, zone 6a
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic