6879Rhododendron albiflorum - Cascades Azalea

    Jan 1, 2007
      I think the Cascades Azalea is quite beautiful in
      blooom though I have only seen photos sent by friends
      (like Hank Helm near Seattle) of the plants in the
      wild. The drying leaves have a wonderful spicy
      fragrance. It probably falls between azaleas and
      rhododendrons somewhere, being more akin to something
      foreign to the US.

      Besides the albiflorum populations in Washington
      State, the species goes north into Canada and there is
      an under-investigated population in Colorado I
      believe, referred to as subspecis Warrenii. I think
      it also crosses the border into Montana, but no one
      has explored the rugged area there. America still has
      more exciting possibilities for plant exploration,
      particularly for different races within a species.

      Since around 2000 I have been attempting to grow the
      Cascades azalea from seeds and cuttings with some
      failures, some near-misses and some more recent
      results that seem successful. Cuttings I stuck in
      2006 in my dome pots still look good outside. I have
      learned that you must treat as a wild plant, no garden
      pampering. Let me go plant a few more seed. They
      seem to like cold-weather planting.

      Mike Creel, Lexington, South Carolina

      --- "William C. Miller III" <bill@...>
      wrote:
      > Red,
      >
      > Yes, it may well depend on who you ask. I have only
      > seen pictures. I
      > can see what you mean by the leaf, but I don't see
      > it in the flower. I
      > don't think there is any question about it being a
      > rhododendron. The
      > only question is --- is it considered an azalea? I
      > assume Galle
      > considered it not to be an azalea or he would have
      > included it in his
      > book. There are other small leafed rhododendrons
      > that are often
      > mistaken for azaleas e.g.,. dauricum.
      >
      > I guess I'm influenced by the fact that Candidastrum
      > isn't part of the
      > commonly recognized azalea subg. e.g. Pentanthera
      > and Tsutsusi on which
      > my interest is chiefly focused.
      >
      > Then too the other common name for Rhododendron
      > albiflorum is the White
      > rhododendron.
      >
      > Happy New Year.
      >
      > Bill Miller