5969RE: [AZ] Severe fungus and flies

    Aug 1, 2006
      The comment "I saw what appears to be small, white, round fungus
      attached to branching pats of the stems. Leaves, in two areas have
      begun to drop off." appeared to me to be describing azalea scale
      also. See http://www.pbase.com/bstelloh/problems and scroll down, to
      see pictures of it on some of my plants. It seemed like a really
      serious problem, with the leaves drying up and falling off, and the
      stems turning black. I eventually discovered a systemic insecticide
      containing Imidacloprid and that seemed to fix it.

      Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 6

      At 12:26 PM -0700 on 8/1/06, Tadeusz Dauksza wrote
      Azalea Bark Scale- eriococcus azaleae -- White egg sacks in twig
      forks., If populations are low, damage is not severe, or beneficials
      are present, do not spray. Beneficials will usually control this
      insect. If heavy infestation -use summer oil spray.

      Azalea White Fly- pealius azaleae-- or Azalea Lace Bug -stephanitis pyrioides

      pls check the listed Url for more insects and mites;

      Tadeusz -Il! linois--- scorching hot/humid , thermometer northside
      of house reads 102.

      "Sawyer, Ann HAMVAMC" <Ann.Sawyer2@...> wrote:

      I would think the fungus is due to the increased rainfall/moisture. I
      don’t know what type of fly would infest an azalea, but undoubtedly
      the increased rainfall is helping them breed prolifically. I would
      spray with a combination fungicide/insecticide. “Safer” makes one if
      you are wishing to be environmentally gentle. Also available is
      plant food with systemic insecticide. Horticultural oils will
      temporarily keep bugs away; you have to re-spray after a rain. The
      fungus can also be alleviated with some baking soda dissolved in
      water (add a drop or two of dishwashing liquid – helps the baking
      soda stick to the leaves), but, again, must be re-applied after rain.
      In my opinion, your best bet is to go to a local nursery (a real
      nursery, where they employ horticulturally trained people) and get
      their advice on a product to use. Take in a sample of the fungus,
      even the fly, in a jar.
      Ann M. Sawyer
      AO, Geriatrics & Extended Care
      (757) 722-9961 x 3634