5342RE: [AZ] Coleman's May Pink and other S.D. Coleman native azalea varieties

    May 1 9:11 AM
      Thank you Earl for the photos. Have you had the
      azaleas since the S.D. Coleman nursery was in
      operation or did you acquire them later. I think the
      Coleman's Early yellow is an even better yellow than
      your photo shows. Mine seemed yellower when it bloomed
      in 2004. No bloom for 2005. What do you see as
      special about the two plants?

      Has anyone written about Coleman and his nursery? He
      seems to be about the earliest nurseryman listing
      native azaleas. The early Fruitlands nursery in
      Augusta, GA, offered a solid list of evergreen
      azaleas, way back.

      I would bet that Coleman had a group of favorite
      varities that he kept propagating and offering. Ones
      that are naturally stoloniferous are the easiest to
      keep in stock, since they propagate themselves. I am
      hoping that a white periclymenoides I grow -
      Appalachian Spring - has that stoloniferous habit
      (like all of my periclymenoides) once it matures.
      Mike Creel, Lexington, SC

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic